PDA

View Full Version : Early season kokes

Propnut69
03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
My son and I hit the water this morning,and we could not of picked a better day. We decided to put in at Anvil Draw,instead of Squaw hollow,I didn't want to make the trip all the way to the boat ramp,just to find out that it was still froze in. We knew that anvil was open,and would save us some time. Was fishing by 9/a so much for my time saver. We had just passed the black fork bridge,when it dawned on me,that I had forget to get a new gorge pass. Me being me I quickly analyzed the situation,and blamed it on my poor sonlaugh hystlaugh hyst He just rolled his eyes and said the mind is the first thing to go ,as you getter older.

Ok not problem we just whipped into buckboard marina,bought a pass( thanks Loretta) then was back on the road. We fished the first set of cliffs ,south of anvil. Son was using a rmt crushed pink/ dodger.cotton candy squid.125ft off the ball ,and 15ft down.I was using a hyper -plaid dodger/double -glow pink squid.100 ft of the ball at 22ftdown. Speed was 1.5mph. I had just poured a fresh cup of coffee,and my pole goes off. Then my son's pole goes off. Great our first kokes of the year,and it's a double. Both fish put on a little aerial show,then into the cooler they went.Nice fish about 2lbs a piece

We make several passes through here and was picking up fish at either end ,during the turn. We managed to pull about five fish from here. Then trolled down into the pipeline,made a pass through there and managed a couple more more fish. They both came off a pink crush dodger/a clear squid with pink beads. This was about noon,so we decided to take a little ride north. Squaw hollow is open ,that's as far north as we made it. It was great to be back on the water again,but it was time to call it a day .

Speed-we did best at about 1.5 . Water temp was a blistering 38-40 degs. Pink's were definably the color..We didn't graph many fish,but that to be expected this time of year.

Petty4life
03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
awesomereport thanks for the report Tim101goodpost101

halojm
03-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm jeolous of course. Can't wait to get up there and put the hurt on them. Freds Marine is finishing up the new modifications I had them do on the boat this week and I should have it ready to put back on the water by the week end. I'll be up on the 10th and 11th with Mark and Arron, but will mostly be targeting big macks. Thanks for the encouraging report Tim. Keep track of them signfishin

SmokeOnTheWater
03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
You DAWG! Thanks for the report!mememe

Kokaholic
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Nice Job Tim. So my question is this, you got them in the turn, inside or outside rod? This leads me to believe they either wanted it faster or slower depending on the rod. Can you answer this. HA ha Im writing a book.

froggie
03-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah, Tortuga & I are always saying, "Watch 'em on the turn!" Meaning the rods of course and we note which way the turn was as to note whether or not to go a bit faster or slower. We're right with you there kokaholic!
Froggie

skookum9
03-30-2010, 02:37 AM
There is another thing that the turns give you that a continuous speeding up or slowing down won't give you. That is a change in the elevation of the presentation. This is especially true for the lead line and banana weight users but it is also true when using a long setback with a rigger. Not only is the outside rod going to be going faster but it will tend to climb in the water column and just the opposite for the inside rod, it will begin to sink a little lower. I have found that fish are extremely responsive to vertical change and I use such changes in as much of my fishing as I can. I have a theory as to why this triggers a bite response but it is just a theory, I've yet to catch a fish that was willing to tell me if I am right or not.

Propnut69
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Nice Job Tim. So my question is this, you got them in the turn, inside or outside rod? This leads me to believe they either wanted it faster or slower depending on the rod. Can you answer this. HA ha Im writing a book.

Mark,,,,,,,,,,,the fish were hitting the outside rod,this was telling me that a little change in speed was inciting them to hit.

Propnut69
03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm jeolous of course. Can't wait to get up there and put the hurt on them. Freds Marine is finishing up the new modifications I had them do on the boat this week and I should have it ready to put back on the water by the week end. I'll be up on the 10th and 11th with Mark and Arron, but will mostly be targeting big macks. Thanks for the encouraging report Tim. Keep track of them signfishin

Nothing to be jealous of my friend. It's just one of the perks of living closer to the lake. I'm anxiously waiting to see your boat with all the new stuff on it.

justfish
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Tim it would be nice to live that close ,I would be on the lake 5 time a week. great report

tortuga
04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
We can't get there til like June so leave us a few...huh?
Congrats on the early season stuff!!
Tortuga

Targa165
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Great report. Looking forward to getting over there this weekend. We'll be targeting big macks this time though.

jacksonlaker
04-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Tim, I may be down there this weekend. I get the boat out of storage on Thursday. I cant wait to get back on the water, especialy at the Gorge. We will be targeting rainbows around Buckboard, I may PM you for some Koke info. Now if you make sure it's not going to be windy that would awesome !!