PDA

View Full Version : Lake Whatcom Kokanee Hatchery

lowe1648mt
03-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Hello, Are you familiar with the kok hatchery on lake Whatcom? If you are you know it is important to the sport. The lake kkok population and the hatchery are in jeopardy . The Nooksack Tribe plans to introduce coho into the middle fork of the nooksack river this summer. The river is connected to the lake by a diversion dam. The pupose is to keep the lake full. The danger to kos is the coho carry a disease not found in the lake. Any thoughts?

MackPrince
03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Maybe chat with the local DFW to see what the risks are and what the impact is expected to be on the koke population.

There are kokes in Roosevelt along with the salmon plants so there is probably some research somwhere.

lowe1648mt
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
The DFW is looking into another lake for a kok hatchery.

wallhead
03-28-2010, 01:28 AM
maybe Chat With The Local Dfw To See What The Risks Are And What The Impact Is Expected To Be On The Koke Population.

There Are Kokes In Roosevelt Along With The Salmon Runs So There Is Probably Some Research Somwhere.

What Salmon Runs--no Fish Ladders In Chief Joe Dam Or Grand Coulee Dam!

MackPrince
03-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Right Wallhead no fishladders for Roosevelt. I was late night typing. 101duh101

I was thinking about any research that may be around with previous attempts to truck migrating salmon into the lake or for the late 70's attempt at planting chinook and any related disease concerns.

Lowe, Whatcom koke eggs have been used in some eastside hatcheries so we'll cross our fingers the lake stays healthy.

Smalma
03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
This is a huge issue for those of us that enjoy kokanee fishing here in Washington.

The Whatcom kokanee were the source for the vast majority of kokanee in this State (and much of the country for that matter). The Whatcom kokanee are a native fish to the lake. If I recall correctly the hatchery on Brinian Creek (south end of the lake) has been in operation for approximately a century, first as county facility and then with the creation of the Department of Game (1930s) a State facility. Millions of eggs are taken at that hatchery every year with many shipped for use in other lakes.

The tribal plans for the Middle Fork Nooksack is to introduce spring Chinook (not coho) above the diverson dam. Middle Fork Nooksack water is divert to lake Whatcom for domestic and industrial use (since early 1960s).

For decades there has been no history of dieseases of concern (virus etc) with the Whatcom fish. The concern is that with anadromous fish getting above the diversion dam the salmon could introduce diseases to the water system. In the past only a relative small number of adult kokanee (a 100 or so) had to be tested annually for diseases of concern since there has been no history of problems. The rub is that with the new potential of diseases policies require that all the brood fish be tested. However as a practical matter that is no possible; either physically or economically. It is often the case 100,000 or more adults will be spawned at the hatchery in a single year and there has been as many as 20,000 spawned in a single day.

Without that testing fry from Whatcom can not be used in other watersheds. That would mean for many of Washington Lakes future kokanee fishing will limited to whatever natural production is now occurring. In spite of extensive searches no satisfactory replacement for Whatcom has been found. There as some isolate lakes that can be used but the kokanee populations are too small to begin to provide the kinds of numbers needed for the state wide program.

Tight lines
Curt

lowe1648mt
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for correcting my error on the type of fish. As I don't fish salmon,I often call them (coho/chinook) by the wrong names. But as you say the important thing is the impact on the whole states kok population.

CRW
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Well first we have to get fish back to the river, and up to the middle fork and the Nooksack is not known for that. Nooksack has pretty poor returns, piss poor actually.

As far as I know the Nooksack haven't had a spring Chinook run, so how can they just add one?

Smalma
04-02-2010, 08:36 PM
CRW -
The Nooksack "supports" two spring Chinook runs; both of which are in serious trouble. The Upper South fork sees less than 200 returning adults a year while the North/middle fork population is a little larger. In addition 15 or so years ago some of the wild spring Chinook from the North Fork were caught a taken to the Kendall Creek hatchery where a hatchery program of spring Chinook was started. Current the majority of the spring Chinook returning to the basin are those north Fork hatchery fish.

It was also those north Fork Hatchery fish that has been and will likely continue to be used in the hopes to establish returning fish to the upper Middle Fork (above the diversion dam). However even if fish do return to the base of the dam they can not get above the dam. There has been talke of installing a fish ladder but that is an expensive item and last I heard funding was not been found (that may have changed in the last few months). Once adult Chinook gain access above the diversion dam the State will have to test the Whatcom kokanee if they are to be moved out of the basin.

As I stated before if Chinook get above the diversion dam the state wide kokanee program will likely be greatly reduced.

Tight lines
Curt

lowe1648mt
04-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Curt, It's obvious that your base of knowledge and sources of info surpass mine.

CRW
04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks Curt, I didn't realize that there was Spring Chinook in the Nooksack.

Smalma
04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Lowe/CRW-
Have done a little more poking around and from what I'm hearing progress in getting adult fish passage at the diversion dam on the Middle Fork is still stalled (lots of money for limited benefits). If true that would mean that for at least the short term we should see status quo with the Whatcom kokanee hatchery/state program.

Tight lines
Curt