PDA

View Full Version : Green Peter, Mar. 27th

268bull
03-25-2010, 10:37 AM
If the weather Gods are correct, there is a short window opening this Sat. that may be a good day fishing ( cloudy, but hopefully, no rain predicted ). Corps have been filling reservoirs, so beware the floaters, especially those that are only just under the water surface! Bull

skookum9
03-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Let us know how you do on GP. This lake is close enough to home for me that it would make it much more affordable to fish, if I ever take the time to try it. I've always felt that I was missing out on a lot of fun because I had never taken the chance on this lake.

268bull
03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Skookum 9, You should make the drive and give GP a try. Beautiful reservoir, 52 miles of shoreline and 3500 surface acres at capacity. I lived in Sweet Home for 27 years and guided on GP and Foster both. GP can get quite rough on a good windy day, just make sure your boat is up to it. Not a whole lot of dock space when their floating ( 2 boat ramps ). Plenty of side fingers to fish to escape the wind. Stocked with rainbows, naturally spawning kokes, King salmon, large and smallmouth bass. It's deep out in the main body ( 275 ft. or so in the channel). A lot of folks go down to the dam and tie off on the boom and jig. I prefer trolling myself. Hope you give it a try sometime. Bull

268bull
03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Foster Reservoir, the one you drive by leaving Sweet Home on the way to Green Peter, has kokanee in it as well. Though nothing like the quanity that GP holds, when you do hook one it's a nice fish ( less fish, less competition for the food ) . My best koke came out of Foster, 16 inch, 2 lb.. Troll from behind the scaling shack point to the lookout point on the lake. Your following the old river channel, that's where I've caught kokanee in Foster. Good luck! Bull

skookum9
03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to give it a try. I live right next to a lake that is regularly stocked with rainbows, and it has a lot of bass in it, both large and small mouth. I used to like to fish it a little before someone put those bass in it but afterward it sort of ruined the lake. Now I fish it only because it's close and costs a lot less to go to. I would like to try those kokes out in GP though. Kokanee and brook trout are my two favorite fish to catch and to eat, it would be nice to have a lake like this that isn't too far to drive that was a good producer of one of those two. How small are the kokes in GP? On average that is. And do they do much surface rising early in the year?

268bull
03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Generally speaking the kokanee are near the surface in early spring. The last two outings I've seen a lot of surface boils. As far as size, the ones I've caught this year have been 11 to 12 inches on average. Come mid to late summer you'll be seeing 13 to 14 inch kokes. Good and fat!

268bull
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Just got home from fishing G.P. today! Caught 11 today. All were hard earned. The bite was more active this afternoon than what the morning was. Still launching from the lower ramp at Thistle Crk., but have to park in the upper lots. Lot's of debris floating so you must motor carefully. Was trolling a Jack-o-Diamonds followed with a wedding ring with corn and shrimp oil. My son was trolling a hammered nickel Baby Cowbell with a wedding ring. Hits and misses were about equal between us. Bull

river hunter
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
been awhile since ive been on here, but im gonna be going there this coming sat, after reading the advice, ill prob be running planer boards since the kokes are up near the surface. ive got my double rod permit, so we will have to see how it goes... whats usually the best time to hit that lake this time of the year? morning, noon, afternoon?

268bull
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm a morning person myself. I also fish with the Solunar table when possible, as I've found them to be somewhat accurate. But at this time of the year I think it's anybody's guess. Last Sat. the tables predicted the bite to start around 08:35, the bite picked up for me around 1:00 in the afternoon. Then they're filling the reservoir so there's no consistent thermocline. Fishing can be all over the chart's! Be prepared to try many things till you find consistancy. Also, careful watch for floater's just under the surface. A lot of trash on the water. Good luck to you, and let us know how you did!