PDA

View Full Version : Most pain you've ever experienced?

SuperD
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
What's the most painful thing you've experienced in your life so far? (Physically) Up until this last year, food poisoning was the one thing I wished I would die from so it would be over. Well, that slipped to #2 on my list after having to have a prostate biopsy this past year. Next week is a 6 month follow up and I'm already puckered up and forming beads of sweat.

Thought this might make an interesting guys topic of "what hurt the most".

Cariboospeed
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I've broken my left radius and ulna (both bones in fore arm) twice, my right one once. Most of my fingers have been broken, dislocated, or hyper-extended. Cracked a couple ribs, broke my right leg twice, second time was compound and took a couple surgeries, various metal bits and 40 some stitches to repair. All these were during consciousness and except one, sobriety. A crushed finger tip is up there with the worst pain.

Glad I'm not a woman, childbirth scares the hell out of me.

SuperD
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I've broken my left radius and ulna (both bones in fore arm) twice, my right one once. Most of my fingers have been broken, dislocated, or hyper-extended. Cracked a couple ribs, broke my right leg twice, second time was compound and took a couple surgeries, various metal bits and 40 some stitches to repair. All these were during consciousness and except one, sobriety. A crushed finger tip is up there with the worst pain.

Glad I'm not a woman, childbirth scares the hell out of me.

Okay, so you are from Canada, what, are you a hockey player? laugh hyst

SmokeOnTheWater
03-23-2010, 07:16 PM
He probably suffered all those injuries after telling the Mrs. he's going fishing AGAIN!laugh hyst

Some guys never learn.101duh101

Bduck
03-23-2010, 09:54 PM
A 36yr pain in the a$$. That what working for uncle Sam does and nothing is getting any better. 101thumbsdown101

skookum9
03-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I've suffered multiple broken bones over the years and some hurt worse than others. By far and away, a bad toothache always topped these broken bones for me. I always thought that the toothache was at the top of the heap when it comes to pain. I found out the hard way that I was wrong. About two years ago, I did a little stunt off of the back of a horse and tore my ACL and my MCL and ruptured my muniscus. The pain was so great that it literally made my vision go blank. I never lost conciousness but I did lose my sight temporarally until the pain slacked up a little and I could stabilize my mind. At this point I was convinced that this was as bad as pain could get, for a guy at least, and since I could tough this out, there wasn't much of anything I couldn't endure. Wrong!!! Even as bad as that knee hurt when I tore it all up, it was nothing compared to the kidney stone I passed a mere 4 months later while working in the wind tower fields. According to the doctor that treated me, his female patients all confirmed that this pain was a good bit worse than childbirth. Don't know, don't care, and don't ever want to relive that pain again. I folded up like a little girl and puked my guts out. Being as where I was, it took over an hour for the ambulance to get to me, and I promise that it was one long hour. I never thought that I could experience pain that I couldn't gain control over with enough effort, now I know better. The really embarassing part came when I got to see before my very eyes how tiny this little stone that felt like it was killing me was. If any of you ever experience this for yourselves, if you can't get to a doctor immediately I did discover that soaking in hot water in a tub relieves a lot of the pain. I found this out every time I thought I could tough it out and not take the pain killers on time and was suddenly reminded of just how much pain this is.

SilverBullets
03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
The most pain I've ever experienced was a severe case of gout last year.

Bduck
03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
A 36yr pain in the a$$. That what working for uncle Sam does and nothing is getting any better. 101thumbsdown101

Seriously, I've had a couple of broken toes, a broken arm, several sprained ankles, wrists but I think the athritis I have right now in my knees and shoulders tops anything else I have had. Been going in once a week for an injection in both knees and that is a painful experience by itself. Getting 5 injections of Hyalgen in each knee and I'm up to no#3. 101surrender101 Had same procedure last summer which it help me make through the winter and winters are my worst enemy. Have a bone spur in the left shoulder which has been limiting mobility somewhat. Need surgery but can hold off until after fishing season.

Propnut69
03-24-2010, 03:10 PM
I have been broken,bruised,bloody. beaten and left for dead.But the worse pain I have ever experienced was last month when I got a urinary tract infection. I was in all most unbearable pain for about four days. It was like trying to pee liquid fire. Half my brain was telling I had to go,cuz it hurt bad to hold it. The other half of my brain was telling me not to go ,cut it hurt to bad to pee. My doc told me that as a rule men don't get uti's that often,but when they do it is very,very painful.

Petty4life
03-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I'll have to agree withTim on this on i had 3 uTI'S in a year and ended up in the ER once and i thought i was going to die.101surrender101crymeariver101thumbsdown101

eenakoK
03-24-2010, 07:34 PM
I had a knife go 3 1/2 inches in my leg. That was pretty painful! Well, not until the next day as I was in shock. When I tried to walk, that was another story.

LILFISHER
03-25-2010, 02:47 AM
I would have to say the fiberatomy (sp-cutting the teeth tendons) after having braces so the teeth would not go crooked again. This comming from the guy that crushed his L5 vertibre among other broken bones. LIL101goodpost101

skyhammer
03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
In 1980, I fell out of a Redwood and broke both wrists, dislocated one shoulder and one hip and shattered both knee caps, that hurt.
In 1985, I hit by a basket ball size rock while falling a Redwood. Broke every rib on the right side and one vertebrae, then fell 100' down the cliff and dislocated my shoulder again, that hurt.
3 years ago I had both knee joints replaced, that really hurt. Last year I had my right ankle fused, that hurt, but not to bad.
Recently I just I had 4 knuckles in my left had replaced and had rotor cuff surgery on the other shoulder, that still hurts.

skookum9
03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow, Skyhammer, you really know how to do yourself up right. Didn't anyone ever tell you that logging was a dangerous sport? 101duh101 My grandad was a logger and for a while my father was too, but Dad realized just how dangerous it was and how many of the older men he knew that had been seriously injured while working in the woods so he got out of it. I'm glad he did get out or else I would probably have been in it too. Good luck with all of your healing, I wish you well.

Kokaholic
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I think a good old sinus infection has been one of the longest, most uncomfortable pains I have had to deal with

Trophy Taker
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
I.) My first marriage!

II.) ATV Accident drove a branch through my leg then it got some flesh eating infecting & nearly lost my leg. The experimental treatment they used to treat the infection consisted of leaving my leg splayed open from my knee to my ankle and I had to smear some type of acid based paste on it 3x a day for 9 months.

Kokaholic
03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE) My first marriage!

LMAOlaugh hyst

dubob
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Kidney stone would have to be my #1. My bride confirms they are worse than childbirth after having 2 kids and passing 4 stones. My #2 would be the time I had a massive dislocation of my left ankle. I needed 2 surgeries on it about 3 days apart. During the second surgery the doctor decided he should find out how bad the dislocation really was and moved the foot in all directions while holding the leg firmly in place. As I was coming awake afterward, I remember thinking they should shut the person up that was doing all the screaming. Then I found out that person was me. And they couldn’t give me any pain meds until I was conscious. That was not fun.

SuperD
03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I remember thinking they should shut the person up that was doing all the screaming. Then I found out that person was me.
Now that's funny.

Fallriverguy
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
A ruptured L5-S1 caused such pain that I could barely walk. Just getting the car to go to the emergency room made my eyes water. I remember thinking out lovely the drugs were when they finally kicked in and I could relax a little. There was another time that I had and infection in my cheek from being in a car wreck 3 weeks earlier. The doctor was late for a plane and I was his third emergency so he did not have time to numb me up before removing the stitches and ripping the cut open releasing about a 1/4 cup of puss from my face. That hurt.

SuperD
03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Damaged but actually didn't hurt: About 4 years ago I was helping a friend trailer his boat. I was standing on the tongue of the trailer while he coasted the boat onto the trailer. What I didn't know was that the bow mount trolling motor was on. When I reached out for the bow of the boat to hook the chain to it, I got a hand full of prop. To use a CSI term, there was significant high speed blood splatter. It split my hand from between my fingers down into my palm. As I was shock or something, it didn't really hurt that bad. My friend, who was in more shock than me, was in no position to drive me to emergency so I drove myself. Couldn't find a parking spot at the hospital so I had to park 2 blocks away in a residential area. I thought it must have looked weird for a guy covered in blood to be walking down the sidewalk. I still have a couple fingers that feel fuzzy where the nerves were knicked but probably one of the luckiest accidents that I've every been in. Well, unless you count the time I drowned.

skookum9
03-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Drowning? Now there's one I've tried but it just wouldn't take. Picture being strapped to the bottom side of a 10 foot Zodiac with a 10hp motor running wide open and no one else on board to help out. It took a bit to figure my way out of that one. Still have the sneakers I was wearing at the time with the cuts in them from the propeller. That's a ride that will really wake you up, that's for sure.

SuperD
03-29-2010, 10:56 PM
yeah, the drowning episode was when I saw the bright light and was walking towards it. Someone performed CPR and brought me back though.

skookum9
03-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Glad they did that, SuperD. Now, always remember that God gave us lungs and not gills, so please don't ever try that underwater breathing thing anymore. laugh hyst I wouldn't mind getting the chance to fish along side of you some day and if you go and do something like that again I might have to wait until we can fish together on the other side of this life. And I don't know what the regulations over there will be. 101justkidding101

Bduck
03-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe there will be a way to gets some pics of this. Need audio for the part that someone says "Oh Sh&*" 101justkidding101 Glad to see everyone survived.

Full_Monte
03-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Kidney stone would have to be my #1. My bride confirms they are worse than childbirth after having 2 kids and passing 4 stones. My #2 would be the time I had a massive dislocation of my left ankle. I needed 2 surgeries on it about 3 days apart. During the second surgery the doctor decided he should find out how bad the dislocation really was and moved the foot in all directions while holding the leg firmly in place. As I was coming awake afterward, I remember thinking they should shut the person up that was doing all the screaming. Then I found out that person was me. And they couldn’t give me any pain meds until I was conscious. That was not fun.

I can vouch for kidney stones being the most painful experience. I've had seven of them over the years.

SuperD
03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I was reminded of one last night that doesn't deserve to be at the top of any list but should get honorable mention. I got up at a commercial to go to the kitchen and kicked the leg to the coffee table with my baby toe and bare feet. Made a grown man want to cry!!!

lowe1648mt
03-31-2010, 11:07 PM
kidney stones for my opinion.

Bduck
04-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I suffer from a degenerative knee condition(osteoarthritis) when the weather or barometric press changes drastically, I begin to feels the effects of it. Winter conditions is my worst enemy. As an aircraft mechanic, I have been crawling around on my hands & knees which has greatly contibuted to my condition. My doctor tells me I need knee replacement evently but in the mean time, I have been going thru a series of 5 injections of Hyalgan in each knee once a week. I have 1 more injection and I'm good for another 9 month plus. But going in there for these injections is a real killer. I watch an approx. 2" needle inserted into each knee and the juice is pouring on. After all is done, I walk out with tears in my eyes every week. That HURTS crymeariver Doc says this will get me thru the summer. This is my second series of injections. Can't wait for the next series. 101shock1101

sawdustsavage
06-06-2010, 12:26 AM
In 1980, I fell out of a Redwood and broke both wrists, dislocated one shoulder and one hip and shattered both knee caps, that hurt.
In 1985, I hit by a basket ball size rock while falling a Redwood. Broke every rib on the right side and one vertebrae, then fell 100' down the cliff and dislocated my shoulder again, that hurt.
3 years ago I had both knee joints replaced, that really hurt. Last year I had my right ankle fused, that hurt, but not to bad.
Recently I just I had 4 knuckles in my left had replaced and had rotor cuff surgery on the other shoulder, that still hurts.

Well pilgrim I know what your talking about. after 35 yrs falling timber when a DR. ask me if I have ever broken a bone I always ask him if I can tell him the ones still unbroken. Shorter list. Still the torn bicep and X torn rotor cuff ranks right up there with broken bones and ruptured disk.101jason101101jason101 MY AINT WE HAD FUN

Kokonuts
06-08-2010, 01:00 AM
MY Daddy always said " They Call This The Golden Years " now I am looking at 65 & 40+ years in construction I KNOW what he was talking about!

Kokonuts thumbsup

sawdustsavage
07-05-2010, 01:54 AM
101idea101laugh hystI wonder where this "Golden Year" B.S. Came from.I think the golden years are 30 to 50 after that its all down hill. Until your 30 you don't know what you want or how to get it. Between 30 and 50 Its just more fun than the law should allow. Golden years beat the alternative and don't take me wrong. I do enjoy everyday. They just seem to hurt a bit more now.101cheers101 It's all good tho. Aint we got fun??????

DLM
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
The golden years come when the first grandkid does, no matter what the age. Grandkids make life turn to gold.

sawdustsavage
07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
The golden years come when the first grandkid does, no matter what the age. Grandkids make life turn to gold.

101goodpost101 That is a fact. I Geuss it's time to quit feeling the aches and enjoy the good. Grandkids are amazing. When my daughters were born I knew I could never love that much again.. I was wrong . Along came grandkids and the cycle renews. They do make life golden.mememe

eenakoK
07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Long story short.. this last weekend I had a hitch reciever drop on my right big toe. Broken, bruised, actually had the nail stiched on to make it last longer for protection.. ouch..

DLM
07-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Long story short.. this last weekend I had a hitch reciever drop on my right big toe. Broken, bruised, actually had the nail stiched on to make it last longer for protection.. ouch..

That was painful just to read, I hope you recover quickly and still fish while you heal.

However, if you don't tell us the whole story instead of the short version, we will just make a story up which may not be too flattering.101justkidding101

eenakoK
07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
That was painful just to read, I hope you recover quickly and still fish while you heal.

However, if you don't tell us the whole story instead of the short version, we will just make a story up which may not be too flattering.101justkidding101

That would be interesting to see what you would come up with. I will have to tell the story.

I was helping my sister at a fair on Sunday, the guy next to her stand had no idea what he was doing. He didn't know how to release the ball from the trailer. He assumed it was stuck when he came and asked me. At this point he took the ball out of the hitch on the van, the the ball mount and ball were just being held there by the coupler. I went to go help and I released the ball and it fell then bounced on my toe. Mind you, this was at 8:00am and I worked till 1:00am, the EMT's would come and check on my toe and replace the gauze evey two hours.. I finally went and got it checked out last night.

black lab
07-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Wow, You guy's sound like a sorry bunch. Hurts to remember all the hurts. Nothing like some of you guy's though. Dropped one of those big old copper fire extinguisher on my big toe once. can't do anything to a broken toe. Broken collar bone, didn't hurt till the next day. About 3 or 4 maybe more bone marrow biopsy's after chemo for leukemia, mental block for the pain. I likened it to having a turkey baster shoved though your hip bone. Drown once, just like they say if you go down 3 times your done. Three times for me, I was dragged out and brought back but I didn't see any bright light. Smashed finger in a big swing gate still hurts like hell if I tap it on anything. Bad knee, on going pain. Back pain for 36 years. Slipped off a boat trailer and ripped 4"x1/2" deep gash in my leg on a remote fishing trip. Can't think of anymore biggies.