PDA

View Full Version : Gardens

SuperD
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Who has their garden started and whom has to wait for the snow to melt? My tomatoes have been in for a little while now and I think we moved past the frost scare period. My yard is small so I'll only have a few veggies and my fruit trees. My apricot and peach trees have lots of little fruit on them already too.

DLM
03-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Wife had a good pea crop going until the deer ate them.violin

SuperD
03-22-2010, 06:28 PM
It's always something dlm. Last Spring I paid close attention to what area of my yard was getting the best sun and proceded to plant there. A month later, the sun had shifted and it turned out to be shade most of the day.

portofthesea
03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
My wife and I usually plant a large garden and usually have alot of it in by now, but, honeydew projects inside the house has kept me from fishing and getting the garden in. I did however get the boat out of storage and ran it up to the dealer for some warranty work.
We are expecting possibly some snow here in Northern Utah tonight so any gardening might be jumping the gun a tad.--Gary

Cariboospeed
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Ground has thawed enough I could rototill the plot, still a month early here. Nothing exciting here, just sweetpeas, some lettuce, alfalfa, and a few other things to attract and add a nice flavor to deer. :)

SuperD
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Are you guys getting any closer to Spring? All tomato plants have buds and the cherry tomato has a couple little tomatoes on. The weather forecast here says 83 by Thursday.

Smalma
05-12-2010, 08:41 AM
I have a reasonably large garden for some one living in town (Puget Sound region of Washington). Have planted most of my cool weather crops - spinach, chard, lettuce, peas, beets, potatoes, cabbage and califlower. While we had a very nice and warm late winter and I was excited to get the garden started the last 6 weeks have been unseasonably cold.

Had a frost just last week (hopefully the last of the year). The late frost really hurt the fruit trees. My cherry tree has virtually no cherries set, very few blue berries and way below normal numbers of pears and apples. Had a hard frost a month ago that killed all the early asparagus spears.

This week has been much warmer and I hope to get most of the rest of garden in the next week or so.

Curt

SuperD
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
The timing of the blossoms on my fruit trees was weird this year. I didn't expect to get fruit but as it turned out, I think I got just the right amount of fruit. Typically I have to thin like crazy to get fruit of any size but I think this year I can just let it ride.

Full_Monte
05-20-2010, 06:48 AM
We do a pretty large garden for living in a city...about 40 feet by 40 feet.
I often save seeds from the previous seasons and use them to start new plants. The hardest are the small-seed plants like tomatoes and peppers.
We've done pretty well at it, but raising seedlings has been getting in the way of Koke fishing, so I've backed off. We have the advantage that there is no winter freeze in our part of California.