PDA

View Full Version : I like Kokes

No Wishin Just Fishin
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Although I consider myself a steelhead/salmon angler, I do enjoy fishing for Kokes and have been fishing for them for over 50 years. I have fished Crescent, Paulina, Wallowa, Elk lake, and suttle as well as Odell. In Washington, have fished Swift and Merwin since moving here 15 years ago. I have also fished a little in Idaho and Utah. The trip to Wallowa last year with my grandaughters produced 14 rather large Kokanee that with the guts out and the heads missing totaled 38 pounds. All but one was over 4 1/2 ponds in the net with two biggest at just over 6 pounds. I know it sounds like a fish story, but we have pics to prove it. This year I am going back with 5 of my friends fo 4 days in May and we hope to top last years trip. Anyone who has fished Wallowa in the last couple of years, can attest to the size of the fish there.

The fish at Crescent, although just as abundent, seem to have gotten smaller over the years, as I remember stringers with my Dad where they were all 18-19 inches and the last trip produced 50 fish in July with only one over 15 inches. Maybe they need the Wallowa shrimp in Crescent?

I run downriggers with Lamiglass glass downrigger rods with shimano bantum reels filled with 20lb braid. I can't wait to test Shasta Baits new UV sling Blades with the UV hootchie thing this year, as it looks like a slayer of the fishes.

Enough rambling and I hope to see some of You fishing this year,

Petty4life
03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
101welcomw101welcomw101welcomw

Bduck
03-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Welcome No Wishin Just Fishin 101welcomw Looking fwd to your posts

gonefishing
03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
No Wishen Just Fishnin, great first post.101goodpost101

I like your Info on Wallowa. I will be their towards the End of May.

Welcome:awesomereport

SilverBullets
03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Welcome aboard No Wishin Just Fishin! signfishin

MackPrince
03-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome NWJF. It's been a long time since I've visited Crescent but it was a beautiful place. It's great to have another WA member and I look forward to your posts and reports.

Woo Hoo, Washington membership is growing again 101cheers101.

halojm
03-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Glad to have you on board. Sounds like the gorge isn't the only place where the koks have shoulders.

3RivrFishr
03-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Welcome. Look forward to reading of your travels.

BTW, Wallowa is exceptional in regard to shrimp. Most other places they do more harm than good.

No Wishin Just Fishin
03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Welcome. Look forward to reading of your travels.

BTW, Wallowa is exceptional in regard to shrimp. Most other places they do more harm than good.

Yes I know that as I have watched the shrimp ruin other lakes, especially in Eastern Oregon. They are worried about the Shrimp also ruining Wallowa, as the shrimp and fingerlings both compete for the plankton. The Macks and large rainbow do not help either.

Kokanee Killer
03-28-2010, 05:48 PM
welcome aboard fellow kokanee fan101chromefish101

Kokonuts
03-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Always nice to see another Wa./ Or. fisherman on the Forum! I hope to see some of your posts & meet you at Lake Merwin!!

Kokonuts.....thumbsup