PDA

View Full Version : Merwin is Back!!

Kokonuts
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
The Lake is about 3-5 ft, from FULL! I saw 2 boats out today but dont know how they did!

I'll have the boat out next week, Hope to see you there!

thumbsup......Kokonuts

Gene
03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
i will be there mid april i will be on leave before I deploy witht the Navy, last mancation. we should hook up if you are going that early. going to get on the fishing with Gary website to buy a few things. any colors i shouls be targeting. im gonna pick up some green , pink and natural. also some radical glow stuf and uv. just need some advice for Merwin so I can shop. PM me if you can Kokonuts... or anyone from Merwin

MackPrince
03-15-2010, 12:10 AM
New spark plug.. check
New fuel filter... check
New lower unit lube... check
Time to go fishing ... uh checking on that.

ETA March 27 if all goes as planned.

Kokonuts
03-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Gene,
Green, pink, orange are all good colors for Merwin.
Hoochies(Squid), Wedding Rings, Small Spin & Glows with a few beads & apex are the favorites. I use small spinners on the Hoochies & WR's.

I like to use dodgers and Ball trolls with the DR to keep the line weight down. This early in the year they should be in the top 20 ft. I also use small lake trolls on the line if they arent hitting the dodgers.

Garys System # 1 would also be good. Dont forget the corn & scent!

thumbsup....Kokonuts

Gene
03-16-2010, 12:58 AM
I have ordered three dodgers in Gary # 1 a chartruse, blue, natural and pink. I also ordered #2 dodgers in watermelon and purple. will the Merwin kokes hit on blue yellow or natural ? and what about the #2 dodgers ? I herd that watermelon is popular also. got lots of spin glow beaded spinners comming, and what about RG tubes there? lots of questions gearing up early, gonna need some squids though, and im gonna have to soak the white shoepeg corn in the pro cure Kokanee special I picked up., I do have a crome sling blade dodger with green flash on it with a green hoochie. am I on the right path for Merwin ?

smokin' Kokes
03-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Gene,

any color is the right color on any given day, the kokes decide what they want and what stirs their finicky pea brain to strike.

Merwin kokes can be very selective during the cold waters of spring.

start on the surface flat line trolling one of the dodgers and lures 50ft to 200ft behind the boat on the surface, mono only no weight.
the spring water in Merwin is cold, they are lethargic and shallow.
change speed, drop back distance, depth, weight, lures and scents every 30 minutes until you start getting strikes
March April they are scattered, start trolling as soon as you clear the small bay at Speelyai Bay launch. troll S. across the lake to the S. shore. they tend to favor the S. shore especially in mid and late season. early season they may be in the middle or N. shore. early plankton hatch will determine where they frequent. no large schools in early season.

few early season kokes will show on sonar because they are so shallow unless you have side scan. watch for them dimpling and surfacing, must be plankton feeding. when you spot a school or get a fish, continue to work that one area, back and forth.

take good rain gear and warm clothes. watch for storm clouds, the wind can come up too quickly down the river canyon. make sure you have a bailing bucket. the waves can get large quickly

we may be lucky this year with the climate change, little snow and ice pack in the mountains so little icy cold water runoff this spring. should make for fast growing food and fast growing fat kokes in Merwin. we may even see some size growth in Yale this year.

the kokes out of Lake Roosevelt are like fat puggy footballs this winter, stuffed full of algae and shrimp. no snow ice runoff from west side Canadian Rockies and e. side Coast Range. will be tough year on the irrigation farmers.

Kokonuts
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Fri. was was windy all day, very choppy, but the Sun was out. I started on the South Side but didnt find any fish until
I went all the way down past the houses to the Big Bay on the south side before the dam. By that time it was really windy with white water all the way across the Lake! It took about an hour to get back up the lake!

Sat. morning was a little better so I went back and & met up with a friend of mine was always finds the fish. I was late getting out about 10:00 & he was just leaving with a limit of 5! I cant give you all his secrets & because I dont really know how he does it BUT he always gets the limit!
He did tell me to fish at 17ft. with a Pink hoochie & dodger.
Last year his favorite lure was the Apex & I know he caught a LOT of fish with it!

I fished for a couple more hours but no luck! violin

I'll give it a shot again next week!......Kokonuts