PDA

View Full Version : First kokes of 2010

3RivrFishr
03-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Took 3RivrfishrJR, 'Lil fisher, 'Lil woman and Daisey to Dworshak for some kokanee and early bass fishing. It was a little chilly and windy at times but it was a good day to go get the first koke of the season out of the way. The kokes seem to prefer a watermelon dodger with matching spinner. Bass fishing was slow to say the least.

Notice the water temp on the fish finder behind 3RivrJr:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww144/raskerjr/Kokanee%202010/DSCF5400.jpg

We (mosty Rachelle) caught several trout but I had hopes of grabbing the state record smallie--will have to wait till the water temp comes up a little.

We couldve caught kokanee all day once we found them but the wind and cold made it difficult to stay on 'em.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww144/raskerjr/Kokanee%202010/DSCF5394.jpg

3RivrJr bass fishing:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww144/raskerjr/Kokanee%202010/DSCF5404.jpg

'Lil Fisher bassin:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww144/raskerjr/Kokanee%202010/DSCF5405.jpg

It was great to shake off the cabin fever and catch a few kokanee again. Can't wait for warmer weather and a shot at the state record smallmouth!

gonefishing
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Nice pictures of being on Dworsak. I am garaging my boat this week and getting it ready for some fun. Your end of the state had clouds and sun yesterday. Our end down south was miserable with snow and sleet all day. My cabin fever is building and my desire to be gone fishing is about two weeks away from happening. I may change states to get going, but I will get going. SOON!

MMDON
03-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Very cool. We are still under the weight of winter in S.E. Idaho.

Come on Spring!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

BorntoFish01
03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for sharing Ron. Think Mel and I will try Lucky Peak tomorrow...hopefully we'll have something worth sharing.

kenbarb
03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Very nice report, was hoping you would show one of the Kokanee you caught, what was the average size? this may be the year that will show a increase in size. It is still a litte cool for Bass, I was fishing the Snake River for Steelhead today, the river temp is up to 42*, another 8* and the bass fishing will be red hot. Ken

3RivrFishr
03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
The reason we didnt keep fishing for them all day or take pics of them is they were all cookie cutter 7 inchers. We were fishing in Merrys bay but I talked to a couple guys at the ramp who were fishing near Canyon Creek. I saw them boat one as we were cruising back from bass fishing. They said there were some large schools of fish there too but all theirs were the same 7 inchers we were catching near the dam. I talked to a guy last week who said the biggest he's seen this year was 9". I had hopes for this year too but I think it will be at least another season before we see decent size.

LILFISHER
03-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Thanks for getting my A$$ out the house and back on the water. We had a great time and Chell said before we went to bed I like fishin with Uncle Ron. I hope you don't mind that cause I think your stuck with it in her pretty little brain. Thanks for sharing you day with your son with us. More trips to the lake in 10'. LIL thumbsup

fishslayer13
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey looks like ya had some fun! Ive got to get down there, but have a couple more tied up weekends before I can.
Friend of mine just called was on the water today he beat Elk creek up pretty good. Caught a few kokes in the 13 inch range almost up to the wake bouy.
They also did some drop shoting in cranberry creek and caught a couple bass 14 inches or so long and down 20 feet. Said the water was a bit warmer in there. But couldnt tie into any big bass either.
nice ya had a good one ! thumbsup

3RivrFishr
03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Kevin, I've been called worse names by worse women! If she doesnt mind being called booger I dont mind being called uncle Ron laugh hyst and y'all are welcome on the barge anytime!

Slayer, good to hear the report about some thirteeners in March. That gives me a whole lot better outlook on this season. It never crossed my mind to go looking for them up the tributaries. Everyone I talked to said Merrys bay is the place to be. We mostly were tossing deep diving crank baits for the smallies but tried a little drop shotting with senkos and grubs. Also tossed some carolina rigged grubs, tubes and plastic craws.

I am heading to Boise this weekend but I'll be fishing somewhere the following week. Been jonesing for a sturgeon trip up the river. So many options, so little time!

fishslayer13
03-16-2010, 11:18 PM
I here ya on the time thing seems like I get less of it for fun every year.
My friend was using berkley Power bait in a 3" power minnow in a silver grey shad color for the bass and just twiching the rod tip every once in while.

metalheadgene
03-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Nice report Ron.....way to go Kev ad Chell..got my kicker bracket repaired and motor is re attched. Looking to get out this saturday with my new downriggers....cant wait

3RivrFishr
03-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Go get 'em Geno. I'll be heading your way in a couple hours. Wish I could jump in with you Saturday but I dont think the boss would appreciate it too much!

LILFISHER
03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
..got my kicker bracket repaired and motor is re attched.
You mean you didn't go buy a new T8 to replace that heavy 15hp honda. laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst LIL

Wish I would have been closer to you Geno. I would have got it fixed up for you for nothing.

metalheadgene
03-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Dang Ron...that would be awesome if you could have jumped in! Kev...appreciate that..I know you would of fixed it sweeter than pie. The guy who did the work actually did a good job.

Nice stab on the T-8 comment. There was no way I was going to bite on that one. Kind of funny....2 years ago that same person was complimenting that motor on how quiet it was and how great it did handling the boat...oh well.

LILFISHER
03-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Ya I thaught about firing one over the bow on steelheader but didn't want to waist the time. I have been too busy working 12's this week. LIL

3RivrFishr
03-20-2010, 01:12 AM
....2 years ago that same person was complimenting that motor on how quiet it was and how great it did handling the boat...oh well.

2 years ago that was a different person.:(

Well Gene,
I Just got back from the philharmonic which was terrific. Earlier today I bumped into my old high school bud while waiting to meet up with another friend from up north so that was cool. However, right after that I got to tour every freakin store in the area EXCEPT for Cabelas. I dont know what it is but shopping malls suck every bit of life right out of my very soul within the first 20 minutes. Ugh! I wouldnt have given my wife a carte blanche to run up a grand on acredit card to go fishing with you instead but I have 24 years invested in the marraige so far! laugh hyst

metalheadgene
03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Well Ron.....you staying with the wife this week-end will payoff in the form of many future trips so it is worth it. You did not miss a lot....we landed 4 ni8ce size Kokes and crackered a bunch more...also got a couple of trout....LP was a little to windy for my Dad and the boys so we went to Spring shores. Ended up being a nice day. The ones we marked on the fish finder are still hunkered down in 60 to 90 feet of water with very small groups above that.