PDA

View Full Version : March 12, Flaming Gorge Kok's

kokaine
03-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Launched at Lucerne at 1130 on Friday. Really just wanted to get the boat out. Anyway, before going I rigged with standard kok gear. I laid the poles in the bottom of the boat, figured folks would think I was nuts. Everyone (the few there were) seemed to be after early bows and jigging for macks. Drove around for a minute, up by the pipeline and around. Ice was about 300yards from the pipe. The wife went with me and we put out two poles on side planers and two on riggers. I know some are not going to believe this but the poles started dancing. We had three kokes on at one time, a first for me. No kidding. After 15 minutes we had 4 and quit. I'm never much on trying to catch numbers, just enough for a meal. I always wonder if you caught 30 or so, how many of those would die. No giants but seemed to be around 16 to 18 inchers.

I can post some pics if need be I suppose. Drove down stateline road on the way home and waived at Ashley.

Bduck
03-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Great kokaine. Was wandering if you could launch at Lucerne. Now that makes me want to start thinking about my first trip up there and it might be sooner than I thought. Sounds like you got into the skools. Did you mark very many? What tackle were you using?

SmokeOnTheWater
03-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Has the Forrest Service replaced the fish cleaning station at the top of the ramp or the restroom facilities in the campground? They were all torn out last October. Maybe you didn't even notice?

Thanks for the report that Lucerne is open for launching! I'm a bit surprised because a friend of mine just reported he was driving his TRUCK on 2-1/2' of ice above Buckboard only a week ago. It's hard to imagine that much of a temperature difference in 15-20 miles.

kokaine
03-14-2010, 03:30 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaa

kokaine
03-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Sorry smoke, you posted just as I was responding. The roof is on the cleaning station and some folks were working on it. No base substructure yet. I took a vehicle drive to Anvil, Squaw, and Buckboard. There must have been a 1/4 mile of open water near the farm. Motored up to the ice near the pipeline in the boat and got a pic. Looks a foot thick.

skookum9
03-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Kokaine, that was a great report, made my mouth water just reading it. I too quit fishing koke's when I've caught enough to eat but your number of koke's has me wondering a little. How can one live on so few. With fish that size, 4 might make enough for a meal for two people at best, but that is all. Certainly not enough to have fillets left over to share with someone else.. Then again, maybe I'm just a little more of a fish eater than you, don't know.

kokaine
03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm ten minutes from the boat ramp. I suppose if I wanted more, I'd head back out. Law of diminishing returns I guess. My buddy makes a mean plate of blackened mack. Plus, a good plate of burbot is hard to beat. I went with him awhile back to Yachats and Newport. What a fun time. Rogue brewry is hard to beat too. We set out crab pots ect. Awesome area!

gonefishing
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
OUTSTANDING

I am heading that way as soon as I get my boat back together. Nice report and glad that there was early activity with the kokes.

I'm getting the fishing shakes.tooexcited

Bduck
03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm at work right now and all I can feel is tooexcited tooexcited tooexcited

Kokaholic
03-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I will be there fishing it the 9th,10th and 11th of April, Cant wait!!!!tooexcitedtongue2

froggie
03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Awesome, I'm so-o-o-o ready for June!!
Froggie