PDA

View Full Version : Early Season Koke Tactics

HereDuckyDucky
03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
So the wife and I are heading to New Melones March 20-22, and, although trout are find and dandy, I would really like to tangle with some kokes.

I realize it's early in the year, yet I can't help but think that there's a way to get into them early season.

How do you guys go about catching early season kokes? Any special tips and tricks?

thanks,
RW

HiTechKoke
03-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't really have any early season tactics other than longer set backs since the fish are usually pretty shallow still. Looking back at my reports here from early April I was using a smorgasboard of stuff no different than a typical day tryind to find what works. As I recall they were getting fish off the surface at Melones around that time and spinners were a pretty good bet for getting some action. Getting them loaded up with Kokanee scents and corn of course keeps them a target for trout and Kokes.

Welcome aboard and definitely let us know how you do.

Kevin

SuperD
03-10-2010, 12:24 AM
About 2 or 3 years ago I was there about the same time of year and orange RGT Hootchie mamas were hot for early season at Melones that particular year. I'd have a few straight RGT's and RGT Hootchie mamas on hand. I've already told you locations.

Dave

HereDuckyDucky
03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys. You think it would be a pretty safe bet to stick to the 10-25' water column? I'll likely only be able to run two rods.

RW

SuperD
03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys. You think it would be a pretty safe bet to stick to the 10-25' water column? I'll likely only be able to run two rods.

RW

I'll let you know after tomorrow, I'm going to Berryessa for the day. I'll report back where we found the fish.

Koke Machine
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM
HDD: I have done really well with Apex's and Spinners early in the year. Pink, Green and Orange. I would stay in the 15' to 30' range. With long set backs. 100' Good Luck and let us know how you do.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

tortuga
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
I fish Melones 30 times a year and the kokes are not ready. There are some schooling up and they are 8-10 inches ! If you really want to catch them that small use spinners and "active" lures like apex's and needle fish. Stay fairly shallow and use long (100-150ft) set backs. Go slow, like 1.2-1.4 and watch for pods or groups of fish around glory point or up above the 49 bridge.
Good luck,
Tortuga