PDA

View Full Version : Rod Length

FishHunter
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Anyone have a preference on the length of your downrigger rods?

I lost two complete set-ups at Blue Mesa a couple of weeks ago and need to replace them. They were 7 ft Ugly Stik rods and I am thinking of replacing them with light action 8.5 to 9 ft rods. I want something a little more nimble with better action.

JIGGIT
08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
at least they were ugly sticks and not lumises or fenwick,s. still hurts im sure. for trolling i am using 7 1/2 foot lamiglas and 8 foot lamiglas. for jigging i like 7 foot rods for lite jigs and spoons and 5 1/2 for big stuff. if its trolling dont replace them just yet. some sweet rods come out this winter!!! built just for kokes.thumbsup

HiTechKoke
08-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I love the Tournament Kokanee Lami's and also the Rogue Rod equivalents. If you really want to feel the fish then these rods give you that direct connection. Also what is important to me is that tip is really sensitive to see the minor bites and swipes that occur. Of course that can be more important when you are dealing with smaller fish bothering your lines and stealing corn or missing the lure. I also own Vance's tackle rods and like those as well and tend to use those more in trout season, Spring and Fall / Winter as they provide more back bone if you need it. Any 3 of these vendors get the thumbs up from me. Hope that helps.

In terms of length these 3 are in the 7' 6" to 7' 9" range.

Kevin

FishHunter
08-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I have always liked Ugly Stik rods because I have never broken one. I have broke my fair share of rods and Ugly Stik has always held up and they are fairly inexpensive. If I keep throwing one or two overboard every year, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on a rod that is going to end up on the bottom of a lake laugh hyst

I have 8 months to find one, so I am in no hurry and appreciate your suggestions.

JIGGIT
08-30-2008, 10:28 PM
throwing them over board. man are you nuts. laugh hyst take the hook out then let them go buddy.laugh hystthumbsup

TrophyBoat
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Well, at least he gets to get his anger out throwing them overboard, i had 3 rod /reels lift out of the back of my truck and lauch 20 feet in the air, clear my boat, land in the freeway and get ran over about 50 times, all ugly lites with abu reels. by the time got back to them, the were chop suey. And i had a snag and was violently yanking on it and snapped an ugly lite right at the base. This has been an expensive year for equipment.

P.S. don't put your rods in the back of the truck with rods socks on them.

JIGGIT
08-31-2008, 01:00 PM
i broke a 2 day old lamiglas yanking it free from the release right above the junction. got it replaced free.thumbsup i havent freed the pole again like that since. i grab the line and pull. good lesson.thumbsup

Propnut69
08-31-2008, 01:32 PM
For kokes I prefer a 7ft 2pc rod. This year I have been using a Okuma kokanne pro ultra-lite. It has worked very well for me,and when you catch a 5lb koke on it the fun really begins .I'm waiting for the new JJ signature series from Lamiglas,due out some time before spring. Another good rod is the agility series from Shakespeare. I have a whole rod locker full of ugly sticks that make good back-ups.

Kokaholic
08-31-2008, 03:09 PM
I have been using the 7' two peice Anglers touch Rods. Have used both graphite and glass and enjoyed them both. I am going to start using the new JJ Signature series this next year. The test rods that JJ has are truely a dream. They will make Kokanee fishing just a little more of a rush than what it already is.

I, like propnut69 have liked thw two piece rods. Easier to store and transport.

jacksonlaker
09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I used a Vances tackle 7'6" spiral wrap rod this year and I love it. I'm going to get another one for next year.