PDA

View Full Version : Headed to the Nantahala

Harpoon
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Hope to try the Nat out on Monday.Weather is going to be nice and I thaught I would give it a go again. Trollmonkey has your friend that lives in the area said anything about the fishing or been after the water pull down?thanks H

trollmonkey
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Harpoon I haven't talked to anyone near the lake,but I'm sure it will be mighty cold.Me and my brother-in-law went to BEAR LAKE sunday a week ago the temp was 38.4 didn"t get a bite.It was great to get the boat out ,got a new sonar/gps and had to get a new starting battery. Everything ran great but no fish.I do know nantahala is 9 ft below full ,so plenty of water. Good luck ,I can't wait to get back out there.

Kokanee Killer
03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
good luck fellers..post some pics if you can love to see nc kokes

trollmonkey
03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Harpoon did you get to the lake monday and how did it go? I gots to know the suspense is killing me.

Harpoon
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Well let me cut to the chase. I have not caught my first K yet!!!!crymeariver
My kid was sick Monday so I headed up there today. I drove all over the lake and could not get a fish to the boat. I totally committed to Kok's with no trout lures out . I did have a fish on about mid day and could not get it in the net. I saw it about 20 feet away, it was silver but as you know it could have been a bow. It hit like a freight train and pulled drag very exciting but flipped me off at the end. How do the Kok's hit ?? I wouldnt know tooexcited
I did fined schools of fish but all the new stuff I have I am not sure if I am early or not fishing it right yet. I thaught I had it this time. Oh well thats why they call it fishing and not catching. The lake looked awsome and at least one fish was hungry or ticked off or what ever they do. I think I will give it a week or two and head back up there for some more punishment.laugh hyst

trollmonkey
03-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah man they hit hard just like those wild lake rainbows.They will hit at 70' and be jumping before you get hold of the rod.Me and my son worked out some frustration with a trip to a delayed harvest trout stream and caught 30 bows and brookies.

Harpoon
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey, I did want to see what kind of sounder did you get?
Also the temp was a chili 42 degrees. Very nice day ,with a little bit of wind.
I thaught all the snow would be gone but I was wrong the top of the mountains were covered. Sorry for so many questions but how do you guys get into the lake. Its an excitng drive coming up Wahalya Bald rd.(spelling). Thanks H

trollmonkey
03-09-2010, 11:08 PM
H I got an EAGLE FishElite 642c. Not the most high tech but it is probably above my head ,the only cell phone I fully mastered was an ancient bag phone.We come up Nantahala Gorge and up by the powerhouse ,it may be Waywah RD.There is a fairly good road coming up from Andrews but it would be out of the way. Do you come up from 441,man that is a pull.

Harpoon
03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
TM , I saw a boat boat up at the NAt last summer looked like a cuddy cabin. They were there every day I wen't and trailered there boat . Did not know if you new them. H

trollmonkey
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
H ,I did talk to a couple of guys from Georgia in a cabin boat in August they wore out some rainbows and we got skunked. There is a fellow from Forest City who had a cabin type boat ,his grandson held the koke state record before Ashley and me had it.Were the guys you saw trolling?Usually don't see many trollers in WNC.

Harpoon
03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I should have checked the regestration but did not notice. They just seemed to have some knowledge of what they were doing. Also saw some interesting flashers that they were using and have not been able to locate any. I also met a fellow from NC who was in a Mckee craft about 15 footer. He was very nice and told me about some spoon options and some ideas for catching kokes. I new he was serious when he pulled out a metal box opened it up and had at least a hundred spoons in it all nice and organized. He was staying at the campground . I think he leaves his camper there and comes down quite often. I keep reading more and more info and am building my confidence back up again. So looks like i will hit again soon.Hthumbsup

RAHFISH
03-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey folks,
Greetings from a western Washington (state) Koke fisherman that came across this topic when cruising the site.

I find myself back in east Tennessee (Sweetwater) about every 6 weeks visiting my Mother. I was not aware of any koke's fishing in this general area. Is the Nantahala area the one that is discussed on the tourist info I find around Tellico Plains, TN?

Hope your fishing is good, our lakes out west are starting to warm up but at the same time, our spring King salmon are starting to come up the Columbia River and I can hear them calling also.

Thanks for your time---RAHFISH

trollmonkey
03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Rahfish,you had to rub it in with that king fishing. Man you guys out west are in cold water paradise with all the kings,kokes ,steelhead,and on and on.I have got to get to the Northwest someday.If you are getting to TN regularly Chilhowee Res. in southeast TN has lakers and rainbows Nantahala is in Macon Co. NC. There isn't a real good way to get there.I haven't got a trip in the works yet,hopefully will get out there by mid April.signfishin