PDA

View Full Version : Chile, some quake!

SuperD
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

skookum9
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Must have been global warming!!!!! Just ask Al Gore. laugh hyst

skookum9
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Actually, I just received an email from someone which has a first hand accound of the goings on during the earthquake. It sounded like it was a pretty scary thing. And they said there was a lot of damage that would likely take years to repair. I certainly don't intend to make fun of anyone's misfortunes, it's just that I can't help but look at those who blame everything on global warming and man's pursuit of a better life without thinking they are all just a bunch of crackpot's. My heart really does go out to those who are suffering. I hope we all remember to say a prayer for those who are in such need.

Kokanee Killer
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
dont need shorter days here,, we need longer ones to melt all this stupid snow...

Full_Monte
03-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Our really big earthquake here in the SF Bay area in 1989 was 7.3. The Chile quake was 8.9. Since the Richter scale is a logarithmic scale, The Chilean quake was 60 to 80 times bigger than the SF quake. The 1966 Alaska quake measured 10 on the scale, making it 10 times bigger than the Chile quake. This was the largest quake in recorded history.

Bduck
03-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Somethings you don't forget. When the SF quake hit, I just got home from work and saw water spalshing in my in ground pool thinking there was some kids swimming when there shouldn't have been. I walked to the edge of the pool and got hit with a mini tsunami. I didn't feel the quake under my feet but it did rattle Sacramento. That quake was felt a long distance away. Some reports came out of the LA area. Sure did screw up the Giants/A's World Series.

skookum9
03-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Our really big earthquake here in the SF Bay area in 1989 was 7.3. The Chile quake was 8.9. Since the Richter scale is a logarithmic scale, The Chilean quake was 60 to 80 times bigger than the SF quake. The 1966 Alaska quake measured 10 on the scale, making it 10 times bigger than the Chile quake. This was the largest quake in recorded history.

From what I've been reading, the largest quake ever recorded was in the 60's in Chile. There was no mention of a 10, in Alaska or otherwise. The big one in Chile I think was about 9.8 according to all the article's I've read. Maybe I'll have to look more into it.

Full_Monte
03-07-2010, 09:05 PM
You are correct. I just looked it up and the Alaska quake was 9.2 in 1964

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1964_03_28.php

I had relatives living there at the time. They said the land looked like swells at sea.

skookum9
03-08-2010, 12:08 AM
My father talks about that happening here in Oregon. He said he heard what sounded like thunder and looked out the patio door and watched as a ground swell cruised across the back yard. He was amazed to see the trees and everything just roll right up along with the ground. I have no idea how the concrete under his house kept from busting up through all of this. As soon as he realized what was happening, he jumped in his car and drove to the dam on the lake that is one mile upstream from his house to check it out and see if there was a need to evacuate. It's hard to imagine that the earth could just roll up and down like that and not really cause any damage in the process.