PDA

View Full Version : Won't be long now

SuperD
03-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm starting to hear of some "accidental" Koke catches by the trout and King fishermen so it is only a matter of time before things start to heat up. Sounds like money might be on New Melones to be the hot lake this year but some of the early returns on Berry sounds like the fish are going to be healthy again this year size wise. I'm going to wait 2 more weeks and start getting after it.

gonefishing
03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Where I live we are pretty well covered in snow and the lakes are still frozen over.

Looks like the ice will be off early this year, maybe by the first of April. I usually wait till May to get started on the local kokes, unless you like ice fishing.

Otherwise, I will have to travel to get started early.

Enjoy your early fishing.worthy12

HiTechKoke
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking Melones will be the same as last year with lots of biters but no size which is a great way to get bang for the buck on each trip. But hey that's just my opinion... Mother Nature gives us the real results. Berryessa.... I'll refrain from discussing it to keep it the worst kept secret in the state. tongue2 I'm hoping the other lakes come up another notch to spread the Koke addicts out evenly. Maybe Whiskeytown will return to giant Kokanee again.

Fishon18
03-03-2010, 12:17 AM
I really hope McClure finds it's form from 2007. thumbsup
I will start looking too, in a few weeks at most.

Scott

HiTechKoke
03-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Yah 2007 was a good year.... here's a few reminders from July 07 and one of my first mates in May. Ahh that was a good year for McClure.

Kevin

SuperD
03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Kevin, I'll have my thumb out looking to hitch a ride with you this year at Berry or Melones. I'd like to fish with you for a day and learn from an expert.

Dave

Fishon18
03-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Kevin,

If I'm not mistaken I believe a few of you guys came over after the Pedro derby to fish McClure.

McClure for some reason gets hit harder than say Pedro or Melones when it comes to water rights for the farmers. Doesn't make much sense to me why a smaller body of water gets drained as much, but it is what it is I guess.

Thanks for posting McClure at it's prime and I hope like you that other lakes get going to keep the pressure off others. Don't forget to fish Huntington after the Shaver derby this year, it was the "sleeper" last year with a few kokes going 17-18".

Scott

froggie
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Well if the amount of water in the lake has anything to do with it, Melones should be better this year, Kevin. One can only hope. LOL

Check out my member album for some pics from my favorite years.
Froggie :o

HiTechKoke
03-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Kevin, I'll have my thumb out looking to hitch a ride with you this year at Berry or Melones. I'd like to fish with you for a day and learn from an expert.

Dave

Hah... don't flatter me... I'm no more an expert than the next guy. We do like to have fun on the boat especially when the video camera breaks out though and the fishing is good. I'm sure we'll see you out there at some point for sure.

HiTechKoke
03-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Yep.. that year we went after the Pedro derby and also later after the Melones derby. I kick myself for not doing it last year as there were a few sleeper kokes I heard later. Definitely I would like to see the other lakes step up a bit in size too to spread our fun around.

McClure while at 50% right now is actually at 95% of normal for right now which is good. For everyone else that wants to monitor levels at there favorite lake use this link:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reservoirs/RES

Don't be discouraged by % of capacity but instead look at % of normal.

I did not make it to Shaver this last year and they did have a nice year for sure in the ranks with some Berryessa fish too. Never fished Huntington but would like too... Full Monte knows that lake and what happens when you go Kokanee fishing.... monster browns get jealous and attack!

Kevin

Kevin,

If I'm not mistaken I believe a few of you guys came over after the Pedro derby to fish McClure.

McClure for some reason gets hit harder than say Pedro or Melones when it comes to water rights for the farmers. Doesn't make much sense to me why a smaller body of water gets drained as much, but it is what it is I guess.

Thanks for posting McClure at it's prime and I hope like you that other lakes get going to keep the pressure off others. Don't forget to fish Huntington after the Shaver derby this year, it was the "sleeper" last year with a few kokes going 17-18".

Scott

HiTechKoke
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice pics in the album Froggie...now I'm going to go stare at my Kokanee gear!

We'll see how Melones does. I think the big factor is how big is that natural spawn affecting the overall numbers. We certainly don't want it to turn into Pardee with dinkers... even though I still love that lake too as it is fun for the family just to be catching fish.

Well if the amount of water in the lake has anything to do with it, Melones should be better this year, Kevin. One can only hope. LOL

Check out my member album for some pics from my favorite years.
Froggie :o