PDA

View Full Version : New State Record?

pimpler
02-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Just got a report from a pretty reliable source that a 7 3/4 pound koke was caught this weekend at Wallowa Lake. I do know that the big fish are again there this year. No ice fishing, but using a boat and anchoring and jigging seems to be working well. I have caught a 15,17,18,and 19" fish in two trips. jigging is pretty deep - close to 90 feet and it's a long time between fish, but it's well worth the wait. Will update on the record fish as I do more asking around.

gonefishing
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
For sure I am dipping my line in that lake this year. It is amazing that Wallowa lake is producing more of those large fish. This year could be a real kicker for those who go give it a try.

pimpler
02-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Reports are that this fish, after being bled out, weighed in at 7.52 pounds. Supposedly will be article and possibly picture in this weeks local paper.

nwsoftball
03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
How does a fish get that big already? I'd expect it later in the year after they have some time to fatten up. Wallowalakemarina.com reports:

February 2010

GOT FISH?!?

Kokanee fishing has started! Most are jigging between 100-200 feet with a swedish pimple or similar lures. The fish are on the larger size 15 inches being the smallest reported. Be sure to dress for the colder weather and be prepared for rain and snow. The ramp at the north end is open. The ramp at the south end inside the state park is also open. The courtesy dock is not in yet, it is a bit early for it, the state park will put it in when the snow and ice is done. For up to date information about the fishing please contact the Sports Corral at 541-432-4363 ask for Brad or Larry. We will have current updates starting in May. Here's to another fantastic year of fishing at Wallowa Lake :).

Fourteen
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Fisherman lands U.S. record-tying kokanee

By Robert Swanson
For the Chieftain

In every person who fishes the lakes, streams, and oceans, there lies a dream...to catch the one.

The one that got away.

The one that lurks in the mysterious depths.

The one who surpasses all others.

On Saturday Feb. 27, Gene Thiel's dream came true.

The coming of spring always brings a sense of hope and this year was no exception. Thiel, a Joseph resident, went shore fishing earlier in the week and was catching 10-pound rainbow trout on a regular basis.

In his 35 years of fishing Wallowa Lake, he never caught 10-pound trout on a regular basis. He went fly fishing on the Imnaha River and was catching steelhead. This spring and this year were going to be exceptionally good for fishing.

The kokanee were biting in Wallowa Lake and people were catching their limits. It appeared to be the start of a great season and Thiel had a dream...to catch the one. The only problem was that the kokanee were in deeper waters and too far from shore.

Thiel needed a boat and he did not possess one. So he convinced a friend from Minnesota to paddle a borrowed canoe on the icy waters while Thiel would troll and jig for the prized kokanee. Thiel tells his friend that the silver-colored salmon is the best tasting fresh-water fish.

It took four hours and a lot of experimenting with various lures, but with each and every nibble, the school of kokanee was evident. With patience, in 100 feet of water and about 15 feet from the bottom, Gene caught his first kokanee of the season.

After all the other fishermen had left the lake, there remained a solitary canoe drifting in the water. A light drizzle and the approaching rain clouds did not deter Thiel in his quest.

Suddenly, the line was hit and the pole was bent. "It's a big one!" was the only comment uttered, for each knew from the bend in the pole that whatever was on the line was indeed a "big one."

So on an ordinary Saturday, the 73 year old caught a 7-pound, 8.16-ounce kokanee and tied a U.S. record.

He knows in the hidden depths of Wallowa Lake there lies an even bigger kokanee, perhaps even a world record.

He dreams of catching "the other one."

And as for myself, I will have a fish story to tell, while canoeing the lakes of Minnesota, when an ordinary Saturday became quite extraordinary on a lake in Northeastern Oregon.

The world record is 9 pounds, 6 ounces and was caught in British Columbia, according to Bill Knox of Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. 

skookum9
03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Wow! Looks like I'm going to have to figure out a way to get to Wallowa this year. I'll bet that's gonna be a very busy lake this year, no campgrounds to spare. Thanks for posting that story.

capron6
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Just heard through the grapevine that there is another state record out of Wallowa. 8.23#, 25 1/2" with 16" girth. Pretty sure this is a sure thing. Glad I have my reservations in for June.

salmonster
03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Is the best time of year for Wallowa? or does it get better as the water gets warmer? Sounds like they are catching big fish now.

gonefishing
03-26-2010, 11:21 PM
May-Mid July for trolling. I'll be there for sure!
101chromefish101 Going to get mine!

joeboard
03-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Word is out that a 8.25 lb caught this week at wallowa,by a girl on ifish.net

MJCook6
03-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow...i wanna see this...

joeboard
03-28-2010, 03:56 PM
A picture is on trophytroutguide.com,the biggest kokanee ever caught in the us,world record is from bc over 9 lbs,i'd post it here if I knew how.

wiperhunter
04-03-2010, 05:27 PM
On March 24, a giant, king kong sized kokanee that weighed 8.23-pounds (yes, that’s pounds, not ounces!) was taken from Wallowa Lake in northwestern Oregon by Wan Teece of Enterprise, OR..and I swear this is not an April Fool’s joke!

Teece hooked the ridiculously large koke while trolling a flasher and blade rig. The 26.25 x 16 incher crushed the Orgeon state record by over a pound and is believed to be the largest kokanee ever taken in the U.S. (the world record 9-pound, 6 ouncer was caught in Canada).

Here is a picture of the fish.