PDA

View Full Version : Hello..

Mark McWillis
02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
While I am new to this site I have been fishing all my life. My wife and I are both native Oregonians. I bought my first boat in 1987 and just bought my seventh so I do have some boating experience. The new boat has 1106 Scotty's and we plan to start fishing for Koke's this year. Lots of good infromation here, thanks to all for helping all of us new guys.

Kokaholic
02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome aboard Mark and That is a very nice boat you have. Scotty is great, I have those exact riggers and love them.

SuperD
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Yowza, that is a boat. Does it have the stick steer? Welcome to the boards.

skookum9
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Very nice boat! I've always wondered if those diesels were as much more efficient on the water as they are on land. What's the word? Also, what lakes are you thinking about starting out on? Some of the guys on here seem to really have things figured out on some of the lakes, judging by the posts they've made.

Mark McWillis
02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
SuperD, yes, it has stick steering. When I started looking for a new boat I wanted some specific things. Stick steering wasn't one of them.....until I drove a boat that had it....then it was mandatory.

Skookum9, Thanks! The short answer is yes, they’re MUCH more fuel efficient than gas. The 6LP is a direct replacement for an 8.1 gas engine. I lose maybe 2-3 MPH on the top but go TWICE as far. At 30-32 mph cruise my range is something over 450 miles. In Hell’s Canyon I can go from Heller bar to the dam and back, about 180 miles round trip, on one tank, I have 2x63 gallon tanks, and have fuel left over.

Probably start on LBC as it’s about the closest but I also want to fish Odell and Crescent. What’s your favorite lake?

SmokeOnTheWater
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the Forum Mark!

Hope to see your posts of this year's B run steelhead soon? A trip to the Salmon this year isn't out of the question for me if I can get some serious intel.

Gene
02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
nice to have you here Mark, that boat looks great, need to run it in the Puget sound would be a great Salmon getter

Mark McWillis
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the Forum Mark!

Hope to see your posts of this year's B run steelhead soon? A trip to the Salmon this year isn't out of the question for me if I can get some serious intel.

I may not be much help there. Almost all my Steelhead fishing is on the Columbia or lower John Day rivers.

Bduck
02-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Welcome Mark thumbsup Great looking boat. :)

skookum9
02-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Mark, I've only fished LBC once and that was back when I was a kid. The fish were small and now they only allow 5 fish per day so my visits there will be far and few between. I really never fished koke's again until about 18 years ago and then it was on Odell. This must be one of the easiest koke lakes in the world. The fish run small though so I enjoy checking out Wickiup when I can. They aren't alway large in Wickiup but they can run significantly larger. I've seen 4 Wickiup koke fillets that would outweigh 25 Odell fillets. This year I'm determined to learn Merwin and possibly even Yale since they are much closer to home here. I also think GP would be a wise venture but haven't really heard much good about it until I joined this site. I don't bother with Crecent because they have a 5 fish limit there and the fish seem to be as small as the Odell fish. Although I have heard that picking up the laker's there can be a lot of fun on a fly at ice-off.

Glad to hear about that great fuel economy, but sad that I can't afford the investment. Oh well, I only run around in a 17' whaler so it does pretty good on fuel. Let us know what you think of LBC once you try it, it has a great reputation. If the fishing is good there, maybe I'll have to give it more consideration.

SilverBullets
02-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Welcome aboard Mark!thumbsup

HiTechKoke
02-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Welcome aboard and nice boat. Also good subtlety on the location... Originally an Oregonian I caught that one right away. thumbsup

Kevin

Kokonuts
02-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome aboard! Thats a great looking boat that you have!

Kokonuts.........thumbsup

3RivrFishr
02-25-2010, 10:44 PM
You drive to the dam and back but dont fish for steelhead? C'mon man! Next time you are heading through the neighborhood send me a PM. I'd love to WATCH you go through granite with that purdy boat. thumbsup

Mark McWillis
03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
You drive to the dam and back but dont fish for steelhead? C'mon man! Next time you are heading through the neighborhood send me a PM. I'd love to WATCH you go through granite with that purdy boat. thumbsup

I do fish for Steelhead, just not over there. I'll be over there next weekend with Tom Maxfield but I won't have my boat. We'll be in a white Precision Weld twin.