PDA

View Full Version : Lake Merwin Water Level Down

Kokonuts
02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
I just got the word that Pacific Corp is lowering the Lake as much as 30ft.! Its supposed to be comming back up by March 15 Th.

Check before you go!!....violin.....Kokonuts

skookum9
02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for your post. I don't plan on going until after I get a 2010 license but I know my father and uncle were planning on going. I'll have to let them know about this. This usually results in less than desirable fishing does it not? I suspect that this would really mess with their systems changing the pressure in the water column like that. If I'm mistaken about the fishing getting worse from this, thanks.

smokin' Kokes
02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
hopefully the dry banks will warm the water up quicker this spring with the fresh snow melt if we get any, lower hiils below 5000 ft are bare. should give the algae growth a boost also

hills here above Keller Falls on Lake Roosevelt are bare, warm is warm, sunny all day, no snow on the hills around the lake

fish are biting.

Koke-n-a-smile
02-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the update! I was planning on giving it a try that weekend (it is my birthday weekend - the big 40) Keep me posted!

Get'nJiggy
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
FYI as posted on another site....

February 23, 2010

ARIEL, Wash. — Federally required testing and maintenance work on Merwin Dam’s spillway gates will require PacifiCorp to begin lowering the Merwin reservoir level by 27 feet beginning Feb. 22 and reaching its lowest point March 3.

This drawdown will mean that for about 20 days, the Speelyai Park public boat ramp will be unusable and the park will be closed. Any privately moored boats along the shoreline will become beached. While flows on the Lewis River below the dam will increase during this time, PacifiCorp is taking care to ensure that these increases will not alter river use.

Under PacifiCorp’s license to operate the Lewis River dams, PacifiCorp needs to test the spillways of its facilities every five years to make sure that they can be fully opened should that be necessary in an emergency. To do so without greatly increasing downriver flows, the drawdown must be done gradually. After the spillways are tested and any necessary maintenance work performed, the reservoir can be gradually refilled. Depending on weather conditions, the lake level should be restored and the ramp and park should be re-opened by March 13.

Kokonuts
02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I was at the Lake Fri. walking the banks, (water must be down close to 30 ft) looking for "stuff" but all I found was the lower jaw bones of a Muskie with some very big teeth!

I would love to be able to launch a small boat and check out the banks & favorite spots.

thumbsup.......Kokonuts

skookum9
02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Since I've not been to that lake yet, I don't know if there is a way into the lake since I see that it is said that the park is closed. But if there was a way to legally get to it, I would be tempted to run my little pontoon boat up and around it if I were interested in knowing the bank holding area's. I didn't even know that lake held muskie's. I personally can't check anything out right now, stupid coyote just showed up to try and feast on my chickens and made me get out my rifle and now my wife tells me she wants the pelt. Here I was enjoying a lazy Sunday morning and now I've got another chore to attend. Stupid coyote!!!