PDA

View Full Version : Target Burbot with Tended Trot Line

smokin' Kokes
02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
why doesn't the Ut. and Wy. wildlife depts allow heavy targeting of the burbot using tended trot lines to reduce the impact on young kokes and lakers.
max. 200ft long 150lb minimum test trot main line, max 50 4/0 max size baited circle C hooks , 2lb weights every 25 feet with trot tend line on float to prevent line loss. required to be attached to boat and monitored.
must be pulled every 30 minutes for catch and release of lakers

i'd jig for kokes while I trot lined for slimmers. Slimmers are great smoked with all the fat.

food for discussion.

SmokeOnTheWater
02-13-2010, 10:14 AM
tooexcited Sounds like a commercial fishing venture to me! tooexcited

I believe that the UTAH DWR's only solution to an attempt at invasive species eradication is POISON. Let's see, they have experience using Retenone. They have been successful killing every fish species with it. Then they follow it with a massive restocking effort and change the rules for fishermen.

I don't know what the answer is but when mankind tries to outwit Mother Nature it always seems to turn out badly. As I peer out my window to nearly two feet of snow, and more coming, it really looks like Global Warming to me!

worthy12 To Mother Nature

smokin' Kokes
02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
we have the Hawaii Pinapple Express running here with short sleeve shirt with sunburn koke and winter steelheading

anyone for koke fishin' thru the ice in July in Utah?violin

SmokeOnTheWater
02-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Ya'll can only imagine a 6#+ kokanee anytime of the year but there's something about the GREAT NORTHWEST that keeps calling me back. Maybe it's the steelhead, maybe it's Puget Sound but I truly loved it while I was stationed there.
thumbsup

Trophy Taker
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
In many of the eastern block counties like Russia they set huge traps in the shallows during the winter spawn. The traps look alot like commercial crab traps. In other areas they gill-net off alot of the known spawing areas prior to first ice, limiting the spawing habitat. Not sure how effective it is as pretty limited data is available about the whole process.

SuperD
02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Here in CA, one of our premiere trout lakes was planted with an illegal, invasive fish, Northern Pike. Years and years and 10's of millions of dollars were spent fighting the fish as they took over the lake. Shock was used, nets were used and the lake was poisoned twice. This was a very small lake, Lake Davis. I remember the decline as fish counts on a per day basis dropped year after year. It was really sad. The lake is now in its third year of recovery after the last poisoning and I hope it will return to its hey day status. The Gorge is such a different beast that I am blind to see any solution. I think planting sustainable size Kokes to replace the loss of natural spawn is about the only thing I can think of.

skookum9
02-18-2010, 03:45 AM
It's interesting that you mention a lake named Lake Davis. We have a formerly great lake named Davis Lake here in Oregon that was also unlawfully destroyed by someone. It used to be a really terrific lake to catch large, beautiful rainbow trout until someone dumped some trashy bass into it and sent it into a downward spiral. In case you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of bass, especially in trout waters. The truth is we have several lakes in this state that this has happened to and I am utterly frustrated by it. Crane Prarie and Wickiup, and even the lake I live near called Hagg Lake, all damaged by this same mentality to plant an unwanted fish in an otherwise terrific lake. I'm sure that pike have a similar devastation to trout as these lowsy bass do and you have my sympathy. I wish there were something that the good and respectable fishermen out there could do to keep this from happening to other valuable bodies of water. I would love to hear if you have any suggestions on how to stop this sort of thing from happening, or how to fix it if it does happen. Good luck to you and your lakes.