PDA

View Full Version : Super bowl kokanee fishing Merwin

chuck83
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
13 to the boat we kept 6 that were all over 12" and lost about 5 more.

skookum9
02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I am brand new to this forum and am pleased at what I see so far. I see you said you just fished Merwin and would like to know more about what this lake is like. I live and fish in Oregon but have family just north and want to fish Merwin and Yale with them. I normally have the best luck casting jigs in much the same way a bass fisherman would cast a plug when fishing my favorite koke lakes here in OR. Have you ever seen much success on Merwin or Yale using this method? Down here in the spring, it usually outfishes trollers by 5 or more to 1, (note: not on all lakes), and it is a lot more fun, especially for the young and inexperienced. I will be fishing this lake with my pontoon boat and probably without a motor. Trolling with oars is very easy with this little boat however, and if I have to I can, but I would much prefer to use the jigs up high on the surface. I will probably wait until April to fish it because that is when WA lic.'s begin. Is that too early or too late for the kokes to be on the surface or will my timing be just about right? Are you seeing a lot of fish on the surface of the lake already? Any info you could lend me would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Kokonuts
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Chuck......Wow, now that you went ahead & beat me to Merwin, give us cabin stuck guys more info! What were you using, where, how deep? We need to know everything!

.......worthy12......Kokonuts

smokin' Kokes
02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
April is perfect for surface trolling with wedding rings, hoochies and about any of the gear mentioned on here. they are in the top 5 ft of water then.

be careful with the pontoon. the winds can come up quickly in the narrow canyon of Merwin, the waves get big.
i towed 2 pontoons off Rufus Woods last June that got trapped and blown down the lake but a 40 mph thunder storm.

I am brand new to this forum and am pleased at what I see so far. I see you said you just fished Merwin and would like to know more about what this lake is like. I live and fish in Oregon but have family just north and want to fish Merwin and Yale with them. I normally have the best luck casting jigs in much the same way a b*** fisherman would cast a plug when fishing my favorite koke lakes here in OR. Have you ever seen much success on Merwin or Yale using this method? Down here in the spring, it usually outfishes trollers by 5 or more to 1, (note: not on all lakes), and it is a lot more fun, especially for the young and inexperienced. I will be fishing this lake with my pontoon boat and probably without a motor. Trolling with oars is very easy with this little boat however, and if I have to I can, but I would much prefer to use the jigs up high on the surface. I will probably wait until April to fish it because that is when WA lic.'s begin. Is that too early or too late for the kokes to be on the surface or will my timing be just about right? Are you seeing a lot of fish on the surface of the lake already? Any info you could lend me would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

skookum9
02-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks Smokin', that is really encouraging information. Not too worried about the winds though. I've been in some of the worst of them and these little pontoons perform incredibly well, and they travel really fast even when they are only oar powered. I don't think there are many lakes that would worry me as far as wind and waves are concerned, it's just the making it back up to the vehicle. And I can always just pull up to a shore and walk back if it really becomes a problem. I am really getting excited to give Merwin a try this spring. Is Yale better or worse for kokes than Merwin? My uncle was telling me that he and my cousin enjoy them both but dispute between themselve's which is better. Does one have bigger fish? More abundant fish? I'm going to the sportsman's show tomorrow to see all the new toys that I can't afford and drool myself silly. I'm pretty sure that this will be just enough to really get the fishing bug fired up in me and make me completely intollerable at home until I get to go play on the water. If you see a blue 10ft Dave Scadden boat on Merwin this spring, stop by and say hello.

smokin' Kokes
02-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Merwin has larger size and tend to be easier to find the schools.
Yale's has been smaller and the winds scatter the food and thus the fish.