PDA

View Full Version : 3 days on Ashley Lake

Jim F
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Not much action in this forum, but I post my results here for anyone interested.

3 weeks ago, on the ice from noon till 5 PM. 12 fish, mostly from 4:15-4:30, Typical wild bite for 5-10 minutes, and then gone.

Last week, on the ice from 6:00AM till 6PM, 8 fish, scattered through out the day, no wild bite this time.

Last night 1/29/10, on the ice from 4:30 pm till 2AM, 8 fish, scattered throughout the time frame, no wild bite here either.
All fish caught, where the typical 8-12 inchers, no biggun's
Lake is slow right now, hopefully it picks up next month.

Scuttlebutt is all the action is at Bitteroot, have to try that next. Maybe tomorrow.

SilverBullets
01-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Great report Jim...thanks for sharing! thumbsup What kind of lures do you use up in your neck of the woods for ice fishing and do you use any particular bait?

Jim F
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Swedish pimples, with the stock hooks removed, and glow hooks in their place. Sometimes suspend the glows 3-10 inches under the pimple. So far this year fluorescent red seems to be the best producer, with a few on green. Bait is either maggots or white corn, white corn is all I've used this year. In past years I've always used maggots, so the corn is a new adventure. Maggots stay on the hook better :D Doesn't seen to matter whether it is a treble hook or single hook, as long as it glows.
Might be hitting Bitteroot later today. We'll see!

Lunddriver
02-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Hit Echo hard two nights last week with good success. Fish are stacked 20ft off bottom in areas from 50 to 70FOW, middle of the lake. Swedish pimple, small glow tape without hooks, then short 6" FC leader to glow jig tipped with two maggots. Spring "bobbers" seemed to make big difference as you had to set the hook instantly when they breathed on the jig. Lots of missed "strikes"; only hooked one in 5 or 6, but landed all but two hooked. DELICIOUS on the Weber charcoal grill !!
Jay

Jim F
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I hit Echo Friday night, just after dark, No one was there when I set up didn't have any idea where to start except for following the 4 wheeler & snowcat tracks. I stayed till 9:30, I found I left too soon, plus it was snowing like a bugger!
No bites, I think I need to be moved towards the old marina just a little further. I came in from the new access off Labrant. Was closer to the 2 ice houses that someone left out there. Like I said , I think I needed to be closer to the middle of that bay. I don thave a finder either, so I was shooting in the dark :D
Maybe next time

Now Saturday on the other hand, Hit Ashley again, lots of fish in 3 hours, in 3 feet of water :D. lots of fun, all slimy spawners though.

How big where the kokes on Echo?

Lunddriver
02-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Most of the fish we iced were the same size, especially the first nite, around 11-12". On the second nite, we had a mix of smaller ones showing up after 11pm and had to sort to finish the limit by 1am. I believe the smaller ones, 8-9", were a year younger (age class).

My friends hit the Thompson chain last week and limited on some real nice ones, 13-15". I don't have any details, sorry.

Jay

Jim F
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
oh, that is good news, I dont need details on Thompson, if the bite is on, I know what to do :D
I hadnt heard of any action there till now, did they fish at night or early morning?

WE caught tons of really nice ones ones there years ago, 18-24 inchers, way nice fish for around here. All at night, in a boat.

Lunddriver
02-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Afternoon til dark...