PDA

View Full Version : On-Board Chargers

SmokeOnTheWater
01-23-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm going to install an On-Board Charging System to refresh both of my battery sets and wanted to know if there are any mistakes others have made or any tips you are willing to share. The model I'm leaning toward is a Minn Kota MK220 (2 banks, 10 amps each, total 20 amps). This is the model that the Minn Kota sizing chart suggests for my particular application.

Where is the best placement? :confused:

Can it be inside a compartment or should be in open air? :confused:

How long of a run can the battery leads be? :confused:

What do I need to avoid? :confused:

These may be addressed in the owners manual under installation but this forum, and the members on it, have been extremely candid, opinionated and helpful. I'm looking forward to all of your replies. Thank You in advance!

Smoke

3RivrFishr
01-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Scary...yesterday afternoon I decided that I was going to do the same thing. Then last night you posted this. GET OUT OF MY HEAD. AAAAAAHHH. tooexcited

:p

justfish
01-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Tom; my charger is mounted in the glove box and about 10 feet of #10 wire this is a factory installation things to avoid would be drilling a hole through your hull ;pretty straight forward job pm me if you need help

SmokeOnTheWater
01-24-2010, 06:41 AM
I just don't want to set myself up for a fire! tooexcited

I'm pretty handy with the rest of the stuff but I'll sure give you a shout if I run into problems. Thanks!

Propnut69
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Tom; my charger is mounted in the glove box and about 10 feet of #10 wire this is a factory installation things to avoid would be drilling a hole through your hull ;pretty straight forward job pm me if you need help

Justfish,I'm assuming that this on board charger is for a bow mounted trolling motor?

This spring i will be mounting a on board charger,I'm looking at the guest 2611,I have to ask myself why I haven't had one on the boat before now.

justfish
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=Propnut69;14133]Justfish,I'm assuming that this on board charger is for a bow mounted trolling motor?

it is but it has two hook ups so I am runing a set of wires back to my main battery

Bluknight
01-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a Bass Pro Shops XPS (3 bank charger). Looks like it is made by ProMariner for Bass Pro Shops. It works just fine. I think if you stay with a good brand name you can't go wrong. Definitely worth the effort of installing one.

Mine is installed at the bow of boat where I have a storage hatch. I mounted itto the floorboards inside. The leads run to my first two batteries that are about 4 feet back (right by the windshield and console). The other lead runs back the transom (17 foot Lund Fisherman). I unfortunately don't remember the gauge wire a ran, but it is all defined in the owner's manual. I was freaked out at first as well, but it all worked out.

I hope that helps at least a little bit.

SilverBullets
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I installed a on-board charger in the bow storage compartment I made on the 15' Smoker Craft Alaskan. I fabricated some metal braces to help hold it in place and mounted it on the ceiling of the compartment. It charges the electric motor battery up front and the starting battery in back. Been up there for around 7 years now with zero issues. The charger was bought at Wally World.

SmokeOnTheWater
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys for all the support and 1st hand accounts of your own installation. Mine should be here early next week. I'll be sure to take Justfish's offer should I run into any snags.

SuperD
01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Mine was mounted by my dealer and the critism I'd have for the way it was done is that the plug is in such a location that I have to crawl in the cabin of the boat. When the travel cover is on, that can be a pain in the butt.

SuperD
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a dual bank charger for my 24 volt system. Does anyone know how I connect the charger leads to the 2 batteries?