PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Snaps......

DLM
01-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Snaps on covers were mentioned on another thread and not wanting to hijack I came here.

I need to replace the canvas on the lower part of my walkthru to the bow, but have never installed snaps on canvas or vinyl before.

Has anyone done this? I see snap kits at various places and the canvas/vinyl is easy to come buy, but I know how I am, so many do-it-myself projects end up costing more than having a pro do it. crymeariver

I would appreciate any tips on this type of project.

SuperD
01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Find real SS snaps. Do you have to add snaps to your hull or just the canvas/fabric? If you have to add snaps to the hull, DO NOT use the West Marine screw type. Use rivets. The fabric side is a piece of cake.

Bduck
01-06-2010, 02:36 PM
SuperD is right about SS snaps. Use them if you can get them. I went to a fabric store and found a snap type crimper( I think around $8.00) in the form of pliers and I think Wal-Mart carries them too. Pro type snap installers cost starts at about $40. I picked up a leather punch tool at Harbor Freight that allows for a perfect prepunched hole for the snap being installed. The tool is cheap(maybe $4-$5) and it handles fabric very well. The hole punch has 6 different sizes on a rotary dial to choose from.

SuperD
01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
My installation tip would be to wait until it is cool out to measure and punch your holes. I'd rather it snap easy in the heat than need a come along to snap in the cold weather. Apply your snaps at the 2 farthest ends and then do your intermediate snaps.

DLM
01-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Great stuff guys, thanks a million. The snaps are already on the boat, I just have to get some material and put snaps on the material.

As far as cool temps, not a problem up here.

Don't stop, anyone else with advice or experience in this area jump on in.

movie89586

SmokeOnTheWater
01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Most shops that make covers for our TOYS will sell good quality snaps and inexpensive installation tools for the Do-It-Yourselfer. Make sure you take your small cover with you in order to properly size the post. Too long and you'll bend it over and the snap will not work. Too short and the snap will seperate when removing the cover. A project the size of your undertaking will be a SNAP laugh hyst for even the novice. You shouldn't have any problems. Just pick up a few extra snaps for spares as they are always good to have handy.

Bduck
01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Rivits going thru fiberglass will eventially work loose. When installing rivits, make sure there long enough and put a small flat washer on the other end after inserting thru glass. This will prevent the rivit stem from trying to pull thru the glass. Washer not required if inserting into aluminum.