PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Lake 1/2

SuperD
01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Bit of a late report but better late than never. My buddies and I tried to fish Shasta on the 1st but horizontal rain and gusts to 45 mph kept us off the water. Two of us returned the next day to try again. The sky was fog/over cast and winds were calm. We launched at Bridge Bay ramp and headed up the Pitt River arm. We went up about 5 miles and started trolling some of the rock walls. We eventually found a stretch approaching an outside bend that would produce hits or a fish on every pass. The hot lure was a perch needle fish. Since we were toplining, it seemed like we'd miss twice as many as we'd get to the boat. So, we ended up with 8 rainbows to the boat and at least that many that were LDR's or SDR's. We had a few doubles. The last double came about 1:00 p.m. and we decided that was a good note to stop on.

Bduck
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
All the yrs I lived in Calif., I have never fished Shasta. I was thinking about putting in for one of the Kokanee Power Derbies held there. I've been as far north as Weed, Ca., looking at real estate 5yrs ago. Looks like a fun lake to be on.

SuperD
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I had no idea that there were that many world class rivers running into that lake. The Pitt, McCloud and Sacramento + tributaries. It is huge though so it is going to take my buddy some time to figure it out. The lake seems to have pretty good shad populations as the couple fish we kept and cleaned were gorged with shad. That alone should help me with lure/bait choices next time.

MMDON
05-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Good stuff Dave. That is beautiful stretch of water. Most of the lake's fishing videos come from that arm I believe.

TrophyBoat
05-08-2010, 03:21 PM
If you go to Shasta Tackles website he usually keeps a pretty good report of the fishing up there.
FYI