PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Boat Window Curtains

Bduck
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
What is a good product to use on plastic window curtains in the prevention of yellowing, maintaining pliability and able to see through them somewhat? I know there is list of products on the market, but looking for good results & success any of you are having. My boat is currently being fitted with a complete enclosure with side & back drop window curtains. I'm getting to old to bare the brunt of some bone chilling winds and still want to extend my fishing season as much as posible. thumbsup

SuperD
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
If you make sure your curtains are dry when you remove them and roll them for storage, they will stay clear for a very long time. I use a towel to roll my curtains so that they don't touch in the rolled postion. Does Utah have a TAPS Plastics? They are a good source for cleaners. Since you are having the curtains made now, see if you can get the guy to fit measure and fit them in current outside temps. Most places make them in the heated shop and when they go outside in freezing temps, shrink and won't snap. In summer, mine fit perfectly but in winter, I'm lucky to get 1/2 the snaps snapped.

SmokeOnTheWater
01-06-2010, 10:50 PM
SuperD is right about rolling them for stowage! Don't ever fold them! I use an old bed sheet to keep the plastic from touching itself. Any amount of dirt or even hard water spots will scratch that soft, clear vinyl. One more thing, it's wise to keep them out of the sun when stowed. That's the leading cause of yellowing, the sun and UV damage.

twisted lines
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Meguiar's PLASTX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish thumbsup Good stuff

DLM
01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
One more thing, it's wise to keep them out of the sun when stowed. That's the leading cause of yellowing, the sun and UV damage.

I picked up a large duffle type bag with a full length zipper that holds my side curtins, back drop wall and full boat cover and it works great. You just got to make sure everything is dry before it goes in the bag..

Bduck
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I picked up a large duffle type bag with a full length zipper that holds my side curtins, back drop wall and full boat cover and it works great. You just got to make sure everything is dry before it goes in the bag..

Dave, Thats not a bad idea. I think I saw my old duffle(from 38yrs ago) bag sitting in a box some where. The military issues large bags and that would be perfect to put all of that stuff in. Its amazing how things like that get shoved into a box and left in storage for yrs.