PDA

View Full Version : Anderson reservoir

idaho_Grizz
01-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Any one ever try ice fishing this reservior? Is it just to large to have any luck? I tried ice fishing last weekend at Cascade and had a great time, would like to try ice fishing kokanee now without going clear to Mackey.

BlueBack79
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
hey grizz, do you mind posting a report on the fishing from cascade. i was just talking to a buddy today about getting up there next weekend. where were you fishing? any info. would be great. im getting a little stir crazy down here in the valley. figured we'd head up to the cabin friday night for some whiskey, then off to the reservoir on saturday. were you catching trout or perch? thanks.

i've never ice fished anderson. hope the kokes get some size this year. i remember catching some nice ones not too many years back....some in the
18" range.

Mojo
02-20-2010, 01:39 AM
The ice at Anderson Ranch is virtually NEVER safe. I have been involved in several rescues and one recovery from that lake over the years. Please be extremely careful if you try Anderson Ranch. My suggestion would be just haul the boat up and fish near the dam.

idaho_Grizz
02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Joe that what I needed to know, won't be trying that!

skookum9
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Not that I would suggest anyone risk their life unnecessarily but, do any of you ice fishers ever take something like maybe an inflatable pontoon boat or something out to one of these lakes and sort of bellyslide across the ice so that if it does get thin, at least you won't go in and die? Again, this is not to suggest that there is a good way to walk thin ice. It's just a question that if you are in doubt, would this be a good way to "test the water's" so to speak? Because I wouldn't have a clue how to know thin ice from thick, and wouldn't want to bet my life on someone else's opinion, this is probably the only way I would try ice fishing. At least until I gained some experience at it.

BorntoFish01
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
don't know why anybody would want to push the envelope to that extent. okay, so the ice gives way but lucky you....you've got your pontoon to supposedly keep you afloat. how easy is it going to be to pull yourself and the 'toon back onto safe ice? how much of a soaking are you going to experience in the process? is it really worth it?

Mojo
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
My recommendation is drill a hol in the ice close to shore while you are standing on a dock or the bank. If it is 6 or 8 inches you are fine to step out a few feet and repeat the process. If the ice is uniformly 6 to 8 inches you should be fine. If it gets thicker (common this time of year with the lakes rising) you are really set. Just do not push it. I usually carry a pair of phillips screwdrivers to pull myself on the ice if I should punch through, but I am also a great big chicken. We used inflatables with ropes/winches tied to them while performing the rescues. The recovery was done via boat later in the spring.