PDA

View Full Version : Koke lakes from Idaho to New Mexico ?

gonefishing
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
My wife and I have been discussing a 2 week trip from Idaho to New Mexico and back in 2010. We were considering a stop at Freemont Res. in Wyoming, Blue Mesa Res. in Colarado. May throw in some Gorge time on this run also.

Probably will leave early in the year to avoid New Mexico heat. Plan on making a big loop on this trip and we are open to other stops along the way. We will bottom out around Deming NM and then head back North.

Any ideas from anyone when the best time to catch kokes on this trip, ( by lake). Also any information on Koke lakes on the trip in general would be appreciated.

We are in the thinking and planning stage.

Thanks

SmokeOnTheWater
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Utah Kokanee lakes that I know are listed below. Don't know if any are on your planned round trip route or not.

Flaming Gorge Reservoir - Excellent, April - August - Plenty of camping and amenities.

Strawberry Reservoir - Fair fishing for Kokes - Camping with limited amenities.

Porcupine Reservoir - Small kokanee - limited shore camping no amenities.

Causey Reservoir - Small kokanee - limited shore camping, no amenities or ramp.

TrophyBoat
01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
heres where i have koke fished. Personally if you are hitting utah i would hit the gorge for as long as you can, it is hard to beat that place for size and quanity. porqupine has a limited launch ramp and small kokes, causey does not have a launch ramp , and strawberry is hit and miss for kokes for most. Ririe reservoir in idaho is up and coming and for sure be a stop if your in that area and devils creek idaho can be hit and miss as well. Those are the only places i have caught kokes.

gonefishing
01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I think my big challenge will be timming to make this work and catch some Kokes in New Mexico also. I wanted to hit Colorado on the way back, but read some distressing reports on Blue Mesa reservoir so I may skip that idea. Maybe Wyoming & Utah mostly where I will put time on the lakes. Drive hard, hit New Mexico and drive hard back.

Thanks for the ideas.

Flyguy55
01-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Probably the 2 best New Mexico lakes are Heron and Navajo . Heron is at 7200 ft , Navajo is at 6100 ft. Temps usually in the mid 80s to mid 90s Cool mornings and evenings .
I've found good kokanee fishing June to mid August. Heron also has big lake trout .

froggie
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
gonefishing,
Sounds like yo'ure planning a similar trip to ours. We're heading to Flaming Gorge in mid June, then heading to Heron Lake (where our retirement property is) and on to Navajo Lake before we come back to CA. 2 summers a go, when looking for the property we bypassed the Gorge, but fished at Heron & Navajo. Got 2 limits of kokes each both days at Navajo (gave them away to some happy locals). Got a few kokes at Heron too.
Froggiethumbsup

gonefishing
03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I can't go by the Gorge without at least 3 days of fishing. Its about 5 hrs from my house with the wife and dogs along. More stops with them.

My dad is retired and living in New Mexico. He's in his mid 80's, so I need to get down there at least once a year. Kind of thought we might sight see, and fish our way down and back.

May look around for some retirement property down there also.

Travel safe and enjoy your time at the Gorge. If it is your fist time in, you may want to ask where to head off to, to fish. Lots of water in that reservoir to fish.

Safe travels and good fishing

froggie
05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Gonefishing,
Where is your dad in new Mexico??

We're hoping to be able to spend a day on the Gorge with Jared & Corey which should help us with locations. As far as technique, it sounds like the same stuff we do here in CA at New Melones, Don Pedro & Berryessa lakes. We're getting really excited about this trip.

Have you planned your dates yet? Heron & Navajo Lakes are in Northern NM & have kokanee. Heron is right at our property which is near Chama, NM. Navajo is near the four corners.
Froggie

gonefishing
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
My dad is out side of deming a few miles. That's down by the border.
Had a date, but work has curtailed the trip. We are short on personel, not by accident. I may be stuck until this fall and then it will be to late. I need 2 weeks to pull this trip off, and the company said absolutely no way right now.
101duh101

Any way, your going with the right person up to the Gorge. You'll have fun.