PDA

View Full Version : Ririe 12-31-09 and 01-01-10

maghunter
01-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Fished Ririe yesterday and today, with good results. Caught a lot of 12" with a few pushing 15". Ice is around 4 inches and kinda slushy on top today. Kokes don't seem to picky on bait I tried worms, meal worms and fire corn, but caught most of them with no bait on (didn't have time to rebait before the schools moved off). The fish don't seem to want to stay still for long so you've got to catch them while you can. They could come back in 5 minutes or you could wait for 2 hours or more. Come say hi if your up there I am usually fishing in a big blue shelter not far off the ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHtWo38XCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4MBBbwTMgo

gonefishing
01-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Really nice catch. Looks as though the fish a slowly getting bigger there. I'm looking forward to some spring trolling.

maghunter
01-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Yah the fish are deffinetly getting bigger. Those 15" fish are going to be hogs (by Ririe standards) this summer.

MMDON
01-03-2010, 10:19 AM
We've never seen 15" fish consistently this time of year with the exception of a few hold overs. This bodes very well for the summer season.

See you on the ice!

Don

gonefishing
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Doesn't seem like there is enough water in the fall for spawning. I could be wrong as I have not walked up the main creek that feeds Ririe Res.

These bigger fish could be the result of a couple solid water years back to back that has brought significant nutrients into the reservior; or is the Fish & Game planting fish from a different source?

What ever, it will be interesting to see what we can pull out of the lake in June and July.

MMDON
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
You are correct. There is no spawning to speak of on Ririe. The best we can hope for is good water years to carry a high nutrient load and moderate temps to keep the fish up in the water column for a good length of time for maximum food and growth!

maghunter
01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
There are actually a good number of Kokanee that spawn up willow creek. Some friends of the family have a large ranch not far from the Bone store. They get a good number of kokanee spawning up there even on low water years. I've heard there are some that spawn up the Greys lake outlet also. On a side note there are starting to be a lot of small mouth bass in that creek. They don't seem to be impacting the native cutthroats, YET.

gonefishing
01-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the infor on Rire. One of these days I will travel up the creek and explore. Have to consider bigger fish due to better feed in the reservoir. Hope the heck this firshery doesnt get to much presure. It's not that big of a reservoir.

good fishing

maghunter
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
fishing was slow today for Kokanee up there. We did manage a few nice 15" fish. One thing I couldn't believe was all the water lice down the holes, there was thousands of them just under the ice. I don't think the kokanee are having any trouble filling thier stomachs this winter. I don't think the fishermen are having much of an impact on the Kokanee numbers the fish and game stock tons of Kokanee up there every year.