PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

Bduck
12-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Besides some of the larger boats that require, of course, bigger trailers, how many of you converted your trailers into using breaks. I've been kicking around the idea for a while since I have a 20ft glass boat. With a heavier water ride going down the road, it can only be a plus for when I need to hit the breaks. Are there any pros & cons or any tips that will help out on the road. I have a 24ft travel trailer with brakes. I believe its a law to have those on such a monster which I wouldn't have any other way. But with a boat trailer, how is water effecting the brakes, other than needing dried out, over a long term period? I know of another plus and thats the brake dust getting washed out.

SuperD
12-24-2009, 10:19 PM
A 20' boat in CA would have a dual axle trailer and brakes. Where you live, I wouldn't suggest surge brakes. It was driving in your neighborhood that got me to convert from surge to electric over hydraulic. Go with disk over drum for the actual type of brakes. How many axles on your trailer now?

SuperD
12-24-2009, 10:20 PM

Bad post count Roger.

Bduck
12-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Bad post count Roger.

The devil made me do it. Funny you should mention that. No way I could avoid it. We have been working on an F16 from the Dutch Air Force this past month with the triple 6 tail number. Anyways, I have a single axle. I've heard too many cons about hyd. Just wandering if electric would hold up after getting wet numerous times. There's the electrical end and saturation of brake liners with possible deterioration over time.

AFDan52
12-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Bduck, I am considering doing that same thing this year. I don't have brakes at all and thought that it would be a good idea to have a little more help on the way down the canyons.

SuperD
12-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Roger, you have a misunderstanding about electric & hydraulic. Your brake cylinders are better off being hydraulic but your actuator is electrically controlled instead of by compression (surge). I'm guessing that this would be the same system as your travel trailer. If you have a brake controller in your tow vehicle, you would be all set up for it.

See my post on the electric / hydraulic brakes about half way down the first page.

Bduck
12-26-2009, 09:22 AM
I know exactly what you are saying. What I'm trying to get across is corrosion, deterioration. I do have electric brake contols in my trucks. I know some of the west coasters are launching in salt water. Life span is very short with this type of corrosion. I also know its a safety factor for which I'm a firm believer. But if brakes, some electrical aspects of the brakes are breaking down and how often, is it worth putting that kind of change into some trailers? Some maintenance practices are very good(especially if its for preventive) but constant maintenance just to go boating/fishing is not in my bag anymore. Corrosion/moisture is a daily dealt item that we all put up with. Some things we can do preventive measures to help prevent this but other things we have some what no control. My travel trailer does not make a good example. It's parked more than its on the road. Its rare if I get caught in a rain storm with it. But moisture still can't be ruled out. A previous boat I owned when I use to live in Calif., the trailer looked like a rusty piece of metal after launching in salt water for a couple of yrs. It got a fresh water rinse at the ramp when I trailered the boat. But it didn't stop what it was doing to my trailer. That trailer after 4yrs was replaced and I stayed away from launching in salt water. Fishing is our dream world to live in but moisture/corrosion is our worst enemy. I hope this is a better understanding where I'm coming from.

SuperD
12-26-2009, 11:51 AM
The electrical components do not "enter" the water. The "in the water" components of my brake system are 5 years old with no maintenance. Salt is really the difference maker. Unless you plan on launching in the Salt Lake, you should be fine with little maintenance required.

Bduck
12-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Although there are some who do launch in the Salt Lake, you won't see me going anywhere near it. Not even for shrimp. tongue2 Dave, thats what I was looking for as far maint requirements. Only to get away from constant maint., and be able to hook to the boat & go.

Full_Monte
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Certainly, the salt water that gets inside brake drums is the worst. It is heck on the moving parts in the braking system. I have used mostly surge brakes in the past and brakes only last a couple years before needing to be replaced. One idea I had was to put an air-pressurized water reservoir (like a compressor tank) of several gallons behind the tongue of the trailer and run plastic flex lines to a sprinkler mounted to each brake drum backing plate. After you remove the boat from the water, you turn on a valve that turns on the sprinkler heads. Thus, the fresh water hitting the spinning wheel cleans the salt out the inside of the drum and the brake parts. Once the water tank is empty, your brakes should work again.