PDA

View Full Version : Christmas meat?

SuperD
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Is anyone doing a Christmas prime rib? I expect to see a list of posts with pictures of your Christmas meal meat, even if you're having tofurkey. laugh hyst

FishHunter
12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I am cooking a 13lb prime rib for Christmas. We like to get away from the traditional turkey or ham because we get overloaded on those at Christmas parties and other family functions this time of year.

SuperD
12-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I am cooking a 13lb prime rib for Christmas. We like to get away from the traditional turkey or ham because we get overloaded on those at Christmas parties and other family functions this time of year.

Challenge on Fishhunter. I want step by step prep and photos!

SuperD
12-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'm waiting!

FishHunter
12-27-2009, 11:36 AM
This is a 13lb prime rib that I cooked for 14 people. I started by putting a thick layer of a beef stock, butter, rosemary, and garlic rub on it. I cooked it at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, covered it with tin foil and then cooked it at 250 degrees for 5 hours (the internal temperature was 157 degrees). My family likes theirs a little more well done so the rarest piece of meat was only medium. The rub put a nice crust on the meat and provided a lot of flavor.

I served it with baked potatoes with butter and sour cream, green salad, cherry jello salad, rolls, vegetables and au jus sauce. I couldn't get any more pictures because I was cutting and serving the meat.

Kokaholic
12-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I will be downloading my photos and getting my post done on mine here soon. worthy12

Kokaholic
12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Super D asked me to share some pics and info on my Christmas feast this year that I prepared on the smoker.

I started my Prime rib and two Boston butt pork roasts at 0410 am on the smoker Chritmas day. All meat had a Rub placed on it 12 hours prior. All meat then was smoked in my Louisiana pellet smoker grill with a mixture of Mesquite and Apple pellet wood.

I smoke all the meats for six hours. I then removed the pork and put it into a aluminum foil wrap, sprayed with apple juice and then back onto the smoker for another six hours at 200 degrees. The first 6 hours smoked at 150.

I might note that the outside temps on Christmas morning at my house was 12 deg. I used an old winter horse blanket to throw over my smoker to help retain heat with the outside extreme temps.

The prime rib went about 10 hours and finished off the last hour at about 300 degrees which I feel was too much. I wouldnt do that again. However, you can look at the photos and be the judge. I know that at the end of the day, the 15 adults that I fead were full, Extremly pleased with the taste and I have to do it again next Christmas. I do admit, I love prime rib, but in my book, a smoked pork roast is very tough to beat!tongue2

Kokaholic
12-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Here are the rest of the photos.

Mark

SuperD
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Beautifully done guys! Nothing like french dip prime rib sandwiches for leftovers either. thumbsup

Bduck
12-29-2009, 04:08 PM
That looks great Mark, Fantastic Wayne. Someone needs to set a place for me next Christmas. Mark, I also have a problem out in the cold. My smoker has a fire box attached to the side. When the wind gets to blowing, it penetrates up thru the sides, temps inside are way to cool. I'm going to install a fire resistant seal where the 2 halves meet. The horse blanket is a good idea too.

Kokaholic
12-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I just had it laying around so I figured it would work good which it did. I plan to spend some time this summer honing my Smoking skills on a brisket. I love brisket and know that it is a difficult cut of meat to smoke. It takes a great deal of time. Looking forward to the challenge of that this next spring. Cold temps make sit a whole new ball game to smoke meats let alone a brisket for that time frame.

Thanks for the compliments.

SmokeOnTheWater
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Maybe we could chip in for the prime rib if Mark would cook it for us at the next KFF Challenge? How bout it Mark??

Do you use a meat thermometer when cooking the prime rib? If so, what temperature are you trying to achieve? Lots of questions but it's an expensive cut of meat to ruin it by overcooking.

Kokaholic
12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe we could chip in for the prime rib if Mark would cook it for us at the next KFF Challenge? How bout it Mark??

Sorry Tom, Would love to cook a prime rib for you all. But not at the challenge. That would require me to be by the smoker off and on all day and not out on the water fishing with you all. crymeariver

Do you use a meat thermometer when cooking the prime rib? If so, what temperature are you trying to achieve? Lots of questions but it's an expensive cut of meat to ruin it by overcooking.

I use a thermometer towards the end of the process. I try to acheive atemp of 130 deg. Once at that temp, I remove the rib and let sit for about an hour on the counter covered in foil. This allows the rib to stand and slowly cool, yet still cooks and gets up close to the 140 mark. Just right for chowing on then!