PDA

View Full Version : Koke ?

Flanders
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Some real nice reds showing up lately. my question is once thay start to turn
red how long before the start to run and the fishin turns off?worthy

Ryno
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
They'll actually bite almost up to the point that they're dead, and that's one of the reasons the season closes from Sept 10 - Nov 30 . The Gorge has two different spawning runs, early and late. A good portion of the fish turning right now, will be the early run. In Sheep Creek, the early run starts around the first of September and peaks around the middle of the month. Throughout the reservoir and tribs, the late run will peak around the end of October to early November.

Propnut69
08-19-2008, 09:12 PM
I want to take this opportunity a to ask everyone reading this,to please release any kokes that are this years spawners. I know,I know,they are just going to die any way,but let them spawn first. There are plenty of silvers to be caught yet. This will only help our koke population,and will make the future of our koke fishery stronger in the long term.

FishHunter
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I agree with Propnut69. These fish are the future for the kokanee at the Gorge and need to spawn to regenerate the population. They are getting too mushy anyway and the silvers taste better. Once these fish start to deteriorate, they do not stop even when you freeze them.

FISH
08-20-2008, 12:56 AM
No How About This Get Your 3 And Go Fish For Something Else I Have Seen More Floaters This Yr Than Ever And It Is All Do To Poor Releasing And Gread Or Ya Release Them All And Feed The Morman Eagles. Target Some Thing Else And Let Them Do There Thing So The Burbot Have Some Food Thay Are Eating All The Crawdads As It Is So What Do You Think Thay Will Target Next?

Flanders
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanx for the info ryno. we did pretty good in the red cliff area and sheep creek two weeks ago. i think i will go thursday for the weekend. maybe try up toward buckboard!thumbsup

FISH
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
with in the next 10 days a lot of the early run will be going up the green to do there thing and the later run will hang on for a few more weeks but you will be able to jig or troll till the first of dec and still catch fish but after the 10th of sep thay better be returned asap

Ryno
08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I agree on the releasing concerns FISH. During the spring, it's not as much of an issue. Water temps are pretty much the same from top to bottom. During the summer, the kokes are down in 50F water and get reeled up into 70F water. That's a tough change, and one they don't typically make on they're own, especially the big fish!

If you think about it, how many kokes do you catch with hook scars? My survey size is smaller than most anglers on here, but I have yet to see one. I catch bass, rainbows, and macks all the time with jaw damage or hooking scars. I think they handle the changes a little bit better, and mortality isn't as much of an issue.