PDA

View Full Version : Grubs?

SuperD
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Has anyone used grubs successfully for Kokes? A very popular item in my trout arsenal, I've never heard of anyone using them for Kokes. Other than the tail, they don't seem much different than a hootchie. What do you guys know about it?

MMDON
12-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Not a lot of responses on this one Dave but I'm with you, it should work great!

SuperD
12-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I've been the "King's new clothes" on the subject figuring too many other koke experts would have said something if it was an option. Thought I'd come right out and say he was naked and see if there would be a response. Now I'm curious how many of you guys use grubs for trout?

SilverBullets
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
What's a grub? Seriously, I've never used them, but I have watched a few fishing shows where they knocked em dead useing grubs. I've always thought of them more for bass fishing. Dave...how do you rig them for trout and could you explain your technique? Do they come in bright kokanee attracting colors?

SuperD
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
In 2" & 3", grubs knock the snot out of trout when slow trolled. They make every color under and rainbow and if you can't find the color you want, you can make it with grub dye dips.

They are typically rigged on a worm hook, 3" grub = 1/0 or 2/0 hook and a 2" grub = #2 or #4 hook. This picture shows some that i have rigged for short striking fish or possibly Kokes by adding a stinger hook.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7740/grub2.jpg

Here are some I've colored up myself.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1803/grubcolor.jpg

This time of year, we are top lining grubs alot here at the local lakes. Depending on water temps, a 1.2 mph to 1.5 mph troll speed generates pretty violent hits.

DLM
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Dave

I notice on the bottles it says "dip n glo" does the dye actually glow in the dark or are the colors just bright? I have learned that some companies get pretty free and easy with the term "glo".

SilverBullets
12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. Got one more question...when your targeting trout are you useing a dodger or gang troll in front of the grubs?

SuperD
12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
dlm, just color, I've never seen them glow in the dark. I have used a UV dip that works well.

SB, I have seen guys that like to use dodgers for trout use a dodger / grub combo. I simply use a 5' leader to my snap swivel and a plain grub or a grub and a wiggle fin.

MMDON
12-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Good thread Dave. Grubs are deadly for trout! I think they would be the same for Kokes!

Bduck
12-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Grubs have been a favorite with alot of fish. I've caught bass, panfish & trout using these. Successfully used them behind a inline style flasher or just by themselves. I purchased a grub bucket from Cabelas yrs ago and still have a satchel full of them. I think Cabelas still sells them still but I think as a mail order item only. But you can find them in their catalog. But, I never thought about breaking them out for Kokes. Didn't even think about the dip SuperD uses. Thats a great idea, especially to brighten up grubs. Another favorite way to troll trout is using a plain never fail me night crawler. Those I don't have to purchase. They are a yard dweller here in Utah. They are in abundant supply,too.

Kokaneemart
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Dave,

Good thread. I use the grubs for trout and do pretty well with them naked (them...not me!...too cold and too fat!) :rolleyes:

I haven't tried them for kokes yet but I plan to this season. I think the big orange one you posted would work great at the Gorge!?

I do use a lot of the Radical Glow tubes and the tails are straight. These sure look like a crappie tube or grub to me so maybe you are onto "the next big thing!" tooexcited

Kokonuts
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Dave, I am going to try them for Kokanee this spring! I like the color dye, great colors. Do they have enough movement without the dodger?
Kokonuts....thumbsup

Kokaholic
01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I have never used the grubs for anything but trout and bass. I would think that they could be very productive for kokes. We all get so set in our ways with using what has always worked well in the past. I am going to work harder at trying new ideas and "think outside the box a little bit"

SuperD
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, I'm going to try the experiment sometime this weekend at the Gorge. I made some beautiful pink & white and some all purple that I've dipped in UV dip. Good or bad, I'll give them a couple more chances as the season come into full swing.

skookum9
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I came across this and had to read the earlier posts to know what you were talking about by grubs. When I think of grubs, I was thinking of beetle larve that I've seen people use a lot when fishing for trout or kokanee. After reading what you guys are talking about I see that you were discussing something I was wondering about those little rubber things with the twisted hook-tails. Maybe they're some sort of grub or something. I guess my lack of interest in bass has me at a loss for knowledge of this type of bait/lure. I wouldn't mind experimenting but when you've got something that works well already, it's hard to find the drive to change up and try the unknown. I did my share of that early on in my koke fishing but now I've got things dialled in pretty well and don't mess around with what works. I wish you well with your experiment and hope you knock 'em dead.

onlychild
04-22-2010, 05:18 PM
dave have used motor oil color at strawberry and done very well for the cutthroats and bows never tried them for kokes but here is a perfect reason why I joined on this forum