PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Kokannee Clothes

Cariboospeed
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
As I mentioned in the KFF shirts/hats thread, I've always had some lucky shirt, hat, glasses, or something. Not that I'm superstitious at all, just became a habit between fishing, racing, and hunting.

Got some new lucky stuff now!

Last weekend I packed up for a trip through the eastern foothills of the Rockies, past a little town I used to live in called Chetwynd. Fishing sucks up there unless you like Jackfish, btw, but the hunting is second to none. Oil and gas have developed hundreds of miles of gas lines, seismic lines, roads, drill pads, and well head landings. When they clear any ground they replant in grass/alfalfa/clover making a lot of high protein feed for deer/elk/moose. populations have exploded, especially white tail and elk, and bag limits and seasons have been extended in the last few years.

Anyway...it was pretty warm, high 20'sF but snowed like a bugger, and I still had to bundle up with the KFF hoody under my jacket, and the hat brim keeping the snow out of my eyes around camp. First thing in the AM, while looking for another way out from the cabins, as we were going to get snowed in for sure, I got a white tail too busy raking a bush to notice me putting the sneak on him.

Didn't find another way out, so I spent the next 5 hours plowing a mile of road with the quad as the snow was into a foot deep. At sunset, I took a break and went over to the edge of the river valley, and spotted a Mule some 400 yds away and below me. He ducked into a gully and I went over the edge down after him. Took to the last minutes of shootable light to find him standing up and facing me. Giving my eyes a couple seconds to focus through the snow, wind and diminishing light, took an offhand shot from ~150 yds and caught him in the center of his chest, dropped like a rock.

Took a half hour to get back up to my quad through the snow and returned in the pitch black (still snowing) with my hunting partner and a spool of rope. Back down to the buck and tied up his antlers and guided him over logs around rocks and up the bank some 200 yds up as buddy pulled us with his quad.

Got back to camp, and packed everything up, both trucks loaded to the hilt as we had to leave the utility trailer behind, no way we could pull it up out of the valley. Its there 'till spring now. We were both surprised we both made it out without any winching or chains, and made it back to town just after midnight.

Anybody else have some "Lucky" gear? If you don't, I know where you can get some!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/ZS10/hunting%2009/Kokannebuck.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/ZS10/hunting%2009/whttalclose2Medium.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/ZS10/hunting%2009/mylilmule2Medium.jpg

SilverBullets
11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
That's some hard core hunting right there. Great story and pictures...thanks for sharing! thumbsup

Kokaholic
11-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Very nice and great story.

Bduck
11-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Way to go Cariboo. Nice set of racks. I have the same hat but my poloshirt won't get worn until we get away from winter.