PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Kokes- 8/18/08

Ryno
08-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I keep wondering when it will all end. It was about this time last year, that the koke fishing tailed off down here but this year we're still catching them. It's inevitable, that eventually they'll all leave and migrate northward to spawn.

Got some new Radical Glow tubes on Thursday night, tied some rigs on Friday morning, and tested them on Friday afternoon. The RGTs in radical red and powerful pink worked awesome trailing the RMT dodgers. Typically the afternoon bite, is much slower than the morning bite down here in the Canyon. We found some kokes willing to play, upstream of Gold Point, in 45-65 ft of water. Surprisingly, we caught quite a few 12-14 inchers, and only 3 around 17 inches. It's good to see the smaller size classes, but I hate releasing them when the surface temps are so warm. We caught around 10 kokes, and ended with 6 for the BQ. We also lost quite a few, which was likely influenced by gusty winds and frequent boat wakes.

I headed out again yesterday morning to see if I could mimc Friday's event. It was hot fishing, and I caught 4 kokes in the grey light in only 25 minutes. Three keepers hit the deadwell, and it was on to smallmouth. Once again I was fishing just upstream of Gold Point, at about 60ft, running around 2.0mph, and all 4 fish came in on a Hyperplaid RMT dodger followed by a RGT tube in powerful pink.

Hope it helps, Ryno