PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge Kokanee Spawn is Complete

SmokeOnTheWater
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi All

The Kokanee Spawn @ Flaming Gorge is OVER!

Just returned from Flaming Gorge this weekend in persuit of Macks but it was too windy to control the boat. We decided to give the rainbows a shot in shallower waters of the protected bays and it was HOT! HOT! We caught about 30 fish in two, half-days and all were released unharmed! While we were trolling for rainbows we passed a spawned out Kokanee on it's last fin. It's tuff to watch the struggle of life's end but knowing and hoping for renewed life is the bright side. Viewed a Bald Eagle soaring overhead so hopefully he had a nice salmon dinner.

Below are some parting shots of "The Gorge" for 2009. Hopefully we'll see a few improvements for 2010.?. Proposed new bathroom/showers in the campground and maybe a modern fish cleaning station? ENJOY

SmokeOnTheWater
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
More Shots of "The Gorge".

halojm
10-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the pics. Only thing missing was the fish. I also am looking forward to seeing the new improvements that lucerne is planning. This was quite a year to remember. High water, great fishing when you could find them, and some very large koks also. Met a lot of new friends and found some old ones that I haven't seen in years. Mostly great weather when I was up there. Now I can't wait to get the boat unwrapped and back on the water.thumbsup

Bduck
10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Yep, might get lucky and get the boat out for a couple more fishing days. But it don't look good this week with a cold winter storm coming in. Looks like snow for us valley dwellers starting tonight and its going to be miserable all week.

Kokaholic
10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Good on you Thom. Were you guys out in Steves Boat? Looks like it wasnt to bad for you after all. Looking forward to next year up there thats for sure. I know all of the improvements that you talked of will be a great addition to what is there.

SuperD
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
SOTW, what's up with teasing us with small pics that us old guys can't see? ;-)

Kokaholic
10-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I will second that. They would be much nicer to view blown back up some.thumbsup

Propnut69
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Sure would like to see some of that tax money,that the forest service collects, spent on the wyoming side for a change. D-weed and I were out today and fished all around the squaw hollow area,and didn't see one floating dead kokanee. We both commented as to how strange it was ,not to see any spawned out fish in the area.

SmokeOnTheWater
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, we went out in Steve's boat to help prevent DRY ROT! laugh hyst

Sorry to you "OLD GUYS" with the small pictures. I took these on my cell phone and tried to keep them within the parameters set by the forum moderators. I am patting myself on the back for figuring that much technology out on my own. If any of you have editing advice to allow the pictures to be enlarged, I sure would appreciate the help?
worthy12