PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Egg Collection Video - 2009

HiTechKoke
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
The first egg take occurred yesterday at the Truckee location and it was a great success. Here's a few video links of the event from another Kokanee nut... "zhands".... I think he did the Vance's videos.

A movie synopsis of the take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liX6YJcY5YE

A slide Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjEhiAE0JA

Anyone wanting to help volunteer they will have another take next Tuesday, subject to scheduling. Check the Kokanee Power Web site for details. It's a great time and fun to help contribute back to the fishery in knowing you had a hand in it.

Kevin

Bduck
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
WOW, excellent production HTK. Can actually see whats going on without the herky-jerky movements of the camera and wind blowing into the mic. Amazing how man can help out Mother Nature. Has the state of Calif ever looked into acqiring Kokanee eggs from Flaming Gorge? Or do they have some lakes there with the Gorge strain in them? It would be great to preserve the Kokes of the Gorge in lakes throughout the west.

HiTechKoke
10-08-2009, 03:06 PM
The production is from a guy named "zhands" that I have shared video / pictures with and I am pretty sure he did the Vance's Tackle videos too.

California does obtain eggs from other states as a precaution in case our supply has a catastrophic problem during development. As I recall they can come from Oregon or Washington and Idaho but not sure about the Gorge.

Full_Monte
04-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Kevin,

Must have missed this one. Very nice! What happens with all the fish that end up on the ground? Are they just left for fertilizer?

HiTechKoke
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey Monte,

Bear food and fertilizer. Too many in the stream at once would not be good so mini piles usually is what happens.

Kevin

Full_Monte
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I presume that some Kokes are left to spawn naturally so that the young will return to the creek the following year. Do any of the hatchery Kokes return to the same creek on their own, even if they aren't "imprinted" like the natural spawners are?

HiTechKoke
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I presume that some Kokes are left to spawn naturally so that the young will return to the creek the following year. Do any of the hatchery Kokes return to the same creek on their own, even if they aren't "imprinted" like the natural spawners are?

Most definitely. What is taken out of there does not make a dent in that lake and it is stocked with Kokes as well (many think too many) but it is one of two lakes where Ca gets its Kokanee eggs, thus the supplemental plants. The other location is Taylor creek in Tahoe. The hatchery kokes return upstream even though that is not where the are released but they are survivors and have figured it out in a handful of lakes that have enough water in the fall to spawn.

Keep in mind that Kokanee are not native to any of our lakes and were introduced years ago and then in lakes that can support it they have established viable reproduction cycles.

Kevin

HiTechKoke
04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I forgot to mention anyone can volunteer to collect the eggs in the fall along with DFG who arranges the times and equipment. It's a great educational experience and another way to giveback to the fishery.

Kevin

Full_Monte
04-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd like to do that. It looks like you need waders though.

HiTechKoke
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Definitely waders needed as most work is done in the streams herding the fish into nets.

Kevin

Jayson
05-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Again brilliant production and report.hats off to you buddy!