PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee spinners

DavidB
10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Greetings all, I am planning on making some spinners and need some advice on blade size and type. I will be fishing Green Peter if that helps.

Thanks

MackPrince
10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
At Merwin and Yale size 1 French blades with #6 trebles work well. I'd imagine this would be suitable for all the NW kokes.

SuperD
10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I've just started making my own and have built a real nice bead box and blade box. I've chosen Colorado style blades and use both #2 & #3 blades. One of my designs in a #2 blade was red hot at one of my local lakes here towards the end of the season.

SilverBullets
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I use mainly indiana blades in size 2, dakota blades in size 1, willowleaf in size 3, and small/medium size smiley blades. The beads I use are in size 3-5mm. I've seen great success with the use of very small beads (size 2-3mm) and indiana blades in the 00-0 size. All my rigs are tied up with 2 gamakatsu hooks in size 4, and the blades are attached with size 1 & 2 folded clevises.

TopFuelKokanee
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Here is a picture of some spinners I have had success with at GP. One is a Rocky Mountain Tackle Assasin series and the other is a homemade spin-glo with glow beads that uses my dad's GDF 2-tough double hook/leader. I will drag them behind a sling blade or dodger, usually 12-14" back. Hope this helps.
http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/44356/2916825150103699908S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/4825/2148385760103699908S425x425Q85.jpg

DavidB
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was not sure how small to go with the blades.
I will place an order and spend the winter stringing beads.

Thanks Again

SuperD
10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was not sure how small to go with the blades.
I will place an order and spend the winter stringing beads.

Thanks Again

David, have you fished the water you are tying spinners for? Your effort to tie your own stuff will be much easier if you are trying to imitate something you know that works.

twisted lines
10-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Go small, use good beads & try some in this style. TL

DLM
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
GLOW! GLOW! GLOW!

Look around and get as much glow in the dark beads/blades as you can. I have converted almost everything over to glow and am having higher success.

Most think of glow as something you use at first light. Thats true, but even at high noon at 70 feet there ain't much light.

Of course this does not pertain to silver and brass/copper blades, but I would pair them with glow beads. A copper blade spinning around bright glowing beads gives a strobe like effect that is an attention getter.

Another option is uv tape on the blade, that gives them something really different to look at.

Think contrast when setting up your pattern. Don't always use the same color beads on the entire spinner. I have seen some very effective spinners made with black and white beads.

I am in no way a spinner expert, in fact, they are not my go to lure, but I have several that I will put on when other stuff is not working.

SuperD
10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
dlm, what's your go to lure?

SilverBullets
10-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Like allready mentioned, contrast is a good thing. With the brass and silver blades, I've had good success applying holoform reflector tape to them...forms around curves real good. My first couple years koke fishing I had great success with homemade spinners and went crazy making up a couple hundred wedding ring type rigs. Since then where I fish it's pretty much been a Apex show, with some jigging when the bite slows down. I still carry a good variety of spinners though, some days they knock em dead!thumbsup

DavidB
10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Great advice. I am new to Kokanee fishing, in fact I have never tried it. This all got started because my wife made me buy a boat :) I then was given 2 cannon downriggers. I live 20 miles from a great Kokanee lake. What else can I do? Gotta give it a shot. I started looking at info on the web and reading this forum. I have seen tons of spinners and other lures, but $4 for a spinner seems high. There is something to be said for catching fish on your own concoction. I like the glow idea and will give that a go.
I sure appreciate all the help. This is a great forum!!!!!!!!!
Hope to see you on the water next year.

Silver Streak
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
When putting together spinners, blade type can be important. Trolling speed and vibration are the main things to consider...along with contrast. The shape of the blade determines trolling speed...willow leafs can be trolled a little faster than a colorado style blade. I would suggest to only make a few setups and see what produces...than after that you can go crazy! Making you own tackle is a blast...ENJOY and good luck!!

trollmonkey
11-27-2009, 11:27 PM
What type and size mono are you guys tying your spinners on.We had a good day this summer on wedding rings we tied but lost several good fish when the mono parted. Some of the glass beads we used had sharp edges ,also wondered if the metal clevises could cause problems, or the fishes teeth did it. Does this happen to ya'll very often?

3RivrFishr
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I build mine with 10 lb fourocarbon.

SuperD
11-28-2009, 04:42 PM
10lbs leaders have been my standard. However, I'm tying a couple dozen on 12 lbs for next year to try at the Gorge. Kokes aren't line shy so I'm not expecting a direct effect on the fish unless it some how adversely effects the the action. I'm thinking that 12 lbs should actually provide better action from the dodger with the stiffer line.