PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Kokes!

HookJaw
08-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I had the Opportunity to go Flaming Gorge with some great guys this last weekend. LunkerHunter2 had planned a Kokanne fishing trip to Buckboard for three days and invited Kokehead, Cajun, and myself to share the experience.
We left Friday the 8th at 4:00 AM and headed up to the Buckboard Wastelands. We arrived sometime after 7:00 and got camp set up on the beach, and the fishing stuff ready to go. Once out in the lake, it wasn’t hard to tell where the kokes were at, we just headed straight for the congregation of boats. The fishing was pretty slow the first day but we managed to land 15-20 kokes, and lost a bunch at the boat. Most of the kokes we caught the first day were about 2 -2 ½ pounds, with a few smaller and a few bigger.
After a long day of Koke fishin, we headed back to camp, cooked up some wieners, and relaxed for the rest of the night.

Day two we were up early and ready to get after some big kokes. We went out to the same general area and started we surprised to find that the fishing was slow once again. We did bring in quite a few kokes, but we had to work for them. It was nice having Kokehead (Kelly) on board to set us up with some killer RMT rigs, that got those kokes to bite when nobody else was catching them. Later in the afternoon we reached the highlight of the day, when we landed a huge 5 + pound koke. He was a big, red, hookjawed koke almost totally red.
He was definitely wall worthy, and Kelly decided that he would mount him. Because of the weather on day two we didn’t get too much fishing in, we were too busy fighting the wind, rain, and white caps. We just about lost Brody’s tent a few times.

Day Three we got up a little later because of the wind. We headed out to the hotspot and started catching a few kokes and bows. We got a few nice kokes for the cooler and Brody landed some real nice rainbows that were probably close to 20 inches. We also got a few small macks throughout the trip. After we got our limit of kokes for the day we decided to call it a trip and we headed back to camp, got things packed, and went home.

It was a great trip and great company. We ended up catching about 40-50 kokes from 1-5 pounds, 5 or so Rainbows, some decent smallies, and a few small macks. I just wanted to thank Brody for planning the trip and also Cajun and Kokehead for the good company.

There are a few pics attached from the trip, Brody has a bunch of pics as well that he will post later. Enjoy!

HookJaw
08-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Here are some More Pics from the trip.

Lunkerhunter2
08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
It was a trip to remember for sure. I will post some pics a little later.

CurlysLures
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Looks like a great time. We are heading up Thursday and fishing all weekend. We will be fishing Anvil any reports of the fishing there?

Kokehead
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Anvil is hit and miss right know. They seem to be migrating north closer to buckboard area.

CurlysLures
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Ok we iwll hit buckboard area then. Where at from the ramp @ buckboard did you fish?

Kokaholic
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm going up for a quick trip Thursday and Fish thursday evening and all day Friday. Will be staying at Buckboard. maybe will see ya up there.

Kokaholic
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Nice job guys. I hope to get into afew of them bad boys myself this Thurs and Friday. Will let you know

CurlysLures
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
We will be fishing friday morning. Looks like buckboard will be the place. We will be in a 22 ft bayliner trophy. Where at buckboard will you guys be fishing?

Petty4life
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice job guysthumbsup. sounds like you put the hurtin on them.

smokepoles
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry we missed hooking up with HookJaw and crew. Still we managed some nice kokes on our own. Marked a lot of fish but had a hard time getting them to play.

We fished with the first flotilla down reservoir from Buckboard and had very little luck. Moved on to Squaw and did substantially better. Most of the cooperative fish for us were at 40-45 although we also marked lots at 60. Best set up by far far was first rig we put in water - pink prism/silver RMT dodger followed by pink apex koke killer. Tried a lot of other stuff (including colors of apex) and the only other rig garnering a couple fish was a pink and glow RMT serpent spoon.

Heard on the radio that guys at Anvil were marking them and fishing at 70 feet, but they seemed to be even more unplayful there than for us.

I'll upload a couple pics from home later.

Kokaholic
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Were staying in the campground at Buckboard and fishing South from there.

canonbob
08-13-2008, 08:26 PM
east of boat ramp 80 ft of water down rigger at 49 ft smoked the kokes 35 min two limits at 4lb or larger

Kokaholic
08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
And you knocked them dead on................................

canonbob
08-13-2008, 08:50 PM
bahama doger late season squids carp spit gel

Looking4silver
08-15-2008, 03:05 AM
after looking at those fillets im hungry. Nice koke

FishHunter
08-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Great report and pics! Those are are great fishtooexcited My brother has always done well in August, but I have never fished the Gorge that late. Maybe next yearthumbsup