PDA

View Full Version : Wallowa Kokanee

Lip Ripper
10-04-2009, 12:34 PM
What is the best time to fish Kokanee at Wallowa? I am thinking about going over there next year and giving it a try. I would like to go before it gets to crowded, thumbsup

gonefishing
10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Wallowa lake supports some nice fish. Up to 5-7 lb. The best time is Mid June to Mid August.

Great limits check the Oregon fish and game web.

I will be there for a week in Mid July and will be making my reservation right after the first of the year. There are economical cabins in the area or you can stay at Wallowa State park. It has been upgraded and has mostly full hook-up sights.

If you triple tow, it is a no no in Oregon.

Regular Koke gear of most varieties work there.

Good luck, A beautiful place to go fishing for a week! thumbsup

Lip Ripper
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
GoneFishing thanks for the info. I will be going in June, I have a 34' RV and will be towing a 17' Olympic. I will be staying in a state park. I have already looked at the regulations on Kokanee. thumbsup

gonefishing
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I would focus on June 15th to July 15th. Avoide the 4th of July weekend. That's a no brainer. If you get on the State of Oregon State Park reservation site, you can tell by the reservations as to how busy it will be.

However, most campers will not be fishing, and most that do, really do not know what they are doing. Not that many koke firsherman head out there. mostly locals.

Send me a personal message in May and I can get you details. I have good contacts who live out in La Grand & Baker. They will let me know when it starts to get good up there. They know how and where on the lake and I will send you details when they start sending me information. They do very well up there and they have many years of experience on the lake there.

My July trip is a family trip and we meet friends from Cottage Grove up there.

I make a trip to hit it as soon as the reports get good. (Guys only fishing time). We make a long weekend of it and will head over there as soon as they clue me in that its good fishing.

camoarrow@yahoo.com

Latter

TBtoad
12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Gonefishing:
We are going to be at Wallowa on the 10th of July and will fish for four or five days. This will be our first trip and we are looking forward to it. Any suggestions on lures and best areas to fish would be appreciated.

gonefishing
12-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Standard gear works. The kokes are not real picky. Use the gear you have.

I may be there when you are. Depends on when my friends can get free. I tow a boat behind a 5th wheel and have to meet them in the Ontario Ore area before I cross the bridge. They put my boat behind their road trek so I don't get a ticket in oregon. Other wise I have to stay in a cabin.

We shall see. Good fishing!thumbsup

gonefishing
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Just a thought. I said use standard gear but not sure that you have fished for kokkanee before. I appolgize if you havent. There is a heck of alot of info in the postings here on the forum. However, I can send you some info direct on what I would bring to be prepared. let me know.

pimpler
12-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I caught 83 kokes over 16 inches at Wallowa Lake last year. More than 40 of them were caught through the ice in late February through mid-March. After the ice went off and I was able to troll I caught most of the rest of my larger fish before the end of the first week in June. State record 7 pounder was caught later in the year, but numbers of fish per day had fallen by then.

gonefishing
12-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Early fishing is serious. Later fishing is vaction, and warmer! Out of staters do not fare well in that area early in the year. We still catch lots of fish up though july, that is if you leave any behind. laugh hyst

Good fishing to you!

gonefishing
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Wallowa Lake Fishin' News
Oct 7th, 20092009 WAS AN INCREDIBLE YEAR!!

In our 22 years on Wallowa Lake, we've never witnessed a year of such big fish. Not only was Pam Fahey's record Kokanee broken, but there were many fish landed over 20", including Rainbow Trout. Many large Kokanee spawned up the Wallowa River which indicates they are getting plenty of their main food source; Micis Shrimp. We are looking forward to another great fishing season next year.

Wallowa Lake now has two official records!
Pam Fahey 6.74 pounds and 26" on 2/1/2001
Jerome Logosz 7.085 pounds and 27" on 7/19/2009

I'll post fishing news again in the spring as the season begins.
-Gina
Wallowa Lake Fishing Guide
Fishing at Wallowa Lake is a popular pastime that is an enjoyable and usually productive experience. Whether you fish from a boat or from shore seems to make no difference- if all you want to do is catch fish.

For three years running, ending in 2002, State Kokanee Records have been caught right here in Wallowa Lake (6.7 pounds and 26"). That State Record still stands and if your into big fish, an incredible 38 pound Mackinaw has been caught here as well!

2009 was a great kokanee season with one more state record caught.. On July 19th a 7.085 pound 27 inch was landed.

Fishing for Kokanee or Mackinaw really requires a boat as trolling is the most productive method. Come see us and we can fix you up with the right gear. The hottest time for Kokanee is around Mothers Day, and usually runs till mid-June. Trolling at a depth of 60' or more with flashers and wedding rings seems to work best for Kokanee. In the last couple of years the Kokanee have grown smaller, this is a normal cyclical occurrence and that cycle is now set to turn.

Fishing for trout is usually excellent anywhere within 50 yards of the shore. Because most all of the west shore is private, accessing that area will require a boat or canoe, but some of the best trout fishing is on northwest shore, particularly if fishing with flys. A good spot to try is on the north end near the dam. Another good place to park and access the shore is along the southeast side- you'll see a road there that ducks down and runs parallel to the highway on the lake side. Getting to the shore from there is short, but steep and slippery, not the best access for anyone but the fit. It's a good spot with plenty of good sitting rocks and the trout fishing can be very good. The traditional spot is at the lake inlet and is always another safe bet. Power Bait, worms or eggs seem to do the best for trout. Try using a light spinning rod with a bobber and about 30" of line under it. Place a small piece of splitshot up about 9" from the hook. Bait up and let the fun begin!

Wallowa Lake is stocked with approximately 42,000 trout throughout the season including some 18"-20" 'Trophy Trout'

Check the 'Handy Links' on the left for more information.

2009 Limits:

•5 trout per day, including rainbow and lake trout (Mackinaw), with no size limits.
•10 kokanee per day, no minimum length and no more than 5 over 12 inches in length.
•All bull trout must be released unharmed.