PDA

View Full Version : newbie to the forum

skintner
09-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi folks,
New to the forums, not so new to kokanee fishing.

I live in NE Washington, fish for kokes at Loon Lake and Sullivan.

Refurbed a 14' Bayliner this summer and now troll for the little buggers 3-4 days a week. The boat is perfect for me... I can launch/load by myself, the 50hp Force gets me to my favorite spots quickly and my 6hp Johnson will troll me around for 12 hours on 3 gallons of gas. I have had the prop on the Johnson milled down to slow it down, but use a 5 gallon "drag anchor" to slow it down even more. My Humminbird Max210 lets me know when I am "in the fish".

I usually troll hand made "Ringmaster" wedding rings (handmade since Mack's doesn't make that particular rig any more... bought a bunch of the blades, beads, rings, and red glow hooks for assembly). I have several lake troll flasher setups but can't tell you the name of them. I ALWAYS bait up with maggots and white shoepeg corn...

I love to jig for kokes but haven't located a good spot at sullivan yet... might try drifting with the drag anchor, but prefer to find the spot and anchor. That's tough at Sullivan because it's deep (300+ ft) and my anchor lines are only 100' each. Night jigging at Loon is easier with lights and glow hooks, but that's a bit of a drive in these days of $3.00/gal gas.

I know they catch some pretty decent sized kokes out in Lake Roosevelt... but I'm still researching it... might give it a try next year.

That's about it for now... I've got a mess of 10-12 inchers in the freezer that I'll be brining and smoking this week, but the lake is calling today and I can't resist. DVR set to record the golf tournament, Seahawks not likely to beat the Bears, so it's off to the water I go.

More to come,
steve

Petty4life
09-27-2009, 07:46 PM
thumbsupNice intro Steve. Glad to have you herethumbsup

Bduck
09-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Great to have you here Steve. thumbsup Be sure to put the Gorge on your list.

SilverBullets
09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey Steve...Welcome aboard!! Looking forward to reading your reports from up your way. thumbsup

MackPrince
09-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Welcome Skintner it's great to gain another eastern WA member. I look forward to your reports and posts.

Sounds like you know all about jigging in the "Sockeye Hole".
-Mack

halojm
09-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Welcome aboard Steve. Best part about a new guy joining this time of year, is it gives everyone else a reason to post something. I was starting to think everyones computers had died the last few weeks or so. Again welcome aboard and look forward to reading posts about the fishing in Washington.thumbsup

skintner
09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I'm definitely looking forward to adding my .02 here.

SilverBullets
09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I'm definitely looking forward to adding my .02 here.

Ione Washington? I had to google that one! I've lived in Spokane and Coeur d Alene but never heard of Ione. Your really up in the corner...almost into Canada. What type of town is Ione? Is it a farming community, or is that area heavily forested? Looks like a great place to live!thumbsup

skintner
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Forested, was a mill town 'til they sold the mill to china... still pretty much a logging economy.

can't get much farther away from all the b.s. of the cities and still be in the USA (non Alaska, that is lol)