PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup 9/7

Fallriverguy
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Fishing was ok. Six hours and six fish for two rods with one buck released. First pass at 7:15 am we had four hits and landed two. I lost a few and had quite a few short strikes.

What worked for us:

RMT double glow pink behind 00 dodger
ST flame orange wiggle hoochie behind large UV sling blade
FWG darth rader

Fished out from GP boat ramp at both 25 and 15 feet down in 32 feet of water. We probably could have caught a few more before we left as we just figured out the biters were at 15 feet in the afternoon, but previous plans required us to quit.

Three fish were mature bucks, but their meat cut great and they were still feeding on midge pupae. Three fish were next years fish and those were feeding on zooplankton. These fish were 13.5 to 14.5 inches long. It looks like good sized fish for next year.

Two memorable moments from the trip:

One, a fish starts going ballistic right behind the boat causing my son-in-law to nearly jump out of the boat. He had his back turned to his rod so did not see the strike. It took him a few head turns to figure out there was a pink hoochie in the fishes mouth and that his rod was doubled over.

Two, as we were trolling back to the ramp I was talking with my son-in-law and hear zzzzzzz, zzzzzz, zzzzzz from behind me. I love the sound of a fish taking line off my reel.

SilverBullets
09-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Great report FRG! Sounds like you guys had a good day. I can relate to the part about watching a koke going berserk on the surface behind the boat, and sitting there for a few minutes thinking wow... that's one crazy kokanee, only to find the darn thing is on the end of your rod!laugh hyst
You didn't miss much up at East Lake today...very slow! I managed a few, and had a few drive bys.thumbsup