PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee video---interesting!

kodiak1
09-08-2009, 01:01 PM
This video explains a lot.

http://www.kokaneepower.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1533

HiTechKoke
09-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Hey Kodiak - Let me know what it explains.... I'm still trying to figure it out!... tongue2

Actually that is my video which is also posted here in the report found in the California section here:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=2294

or visit the Video Library here on this site for this one and other videos from other folks as well.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/vbtube_toplist.php?do=videos&page=0

All my videos are on youtube here if you want to view some more above and bleow the water.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiTechKoke

I enjoy sharing the stuff and this year have been having more fun editing the videos too. I help run the Kokanee Power board as well so I cross post a lot. Feel free to ask any questions. I can't guarantee I can help or answer too much though as it is like trying to explain cat behavior... the Kokanee have a mind of their own most of the time but seeing what they do underwater gives you a different perspective.

Kevin

SmokeOnTheWater
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Kevin

You gotta help me out. I've tried many different releases only to have them be too hard or soft to trigger. Looks like you're dragging quite a large dodger and your release is never premature nor fails on strike. Would like to hear your secret weapon release? worthy12 PM me if you like.

Tom

kodiak1
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM
It explains why there are so many kokanee "early releases"!! Congrats on great video. I would never have guessed how long they pursue the bait/lure before actually hitting it. Keep those videos coming. Mike

HiTechKoke
09-10-2009, 12:05 AM
You got it Kodiak! You'd be shocked on how long they will follow. I cut down the video a lot most of the time to the closer passes and (sniffing / mouthing ) of the lure. The last trip at Berryessa I had one that followed for well over 2 minutes and it is not uncommon for them to follow for a long minute if they are not in the mood to bite. Add another fish or two and their attitudes will change and become more aggressive when they get competitive. All fun and even more frustrating to watch if we happen to see it in real time. Most of the time I pick it up during post edits and the kids keep track of the video on the boat when fish are active.

HiTechKoke
09-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey Tom - Releases are somewhat of a religious thing with a lot of people in what they like and whether they want them tight or loose. I grew up on those Yellow releases which you can get from various places like Vance's Tackle or Sep's or Koakneemart. Sep's also sells a black clip that is even stronger and I hear there is a red version that is even stronger but I have never seen it.

Kokaneemart (one of our wonderful sponsors) sells them as well with that same yellow clip / cable and downrigger cable clip at this link:

http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Categories?category=More+Good+Stuff:Downrigger+Rel eases

I always adjust the sliding spring to the tightest position. Getting them just right in terms of the line in the clip is a bit of an art but also depends on your line type and how worn the clip pad is. I wear mine out in a season (the pads go flat) and can no longer hold the line easily. The other big factor is how much you load your rods on the downrigger. I'm the type that loads them down a lot (rod nearly bowed into the water) which puts a lot more stress on the clip but I get more visibility on the short strikes. On a good clip I put them in about 3/4 of the way in on the pad but as they get worn I have to place them farther back.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Kevin

You gotta help me out. I've tried many different releases only to have them be too hard or soft to trigger. Looks like you're dragging quite a large dodger and your release is never premature nor fails on strike. Would like to hear your secret weapon release? worthy12 PM me if you like.

Tom

SmokeOnTheWater
09-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Reading all the comments of rigs and setbacks, I'm thinking your short setback is primarily for videography. Still GREAT STUFF to watch! I bet your kids are great editors at a reasonable fee. thumbsup

HiTechKoke
09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Yep.. In order to capture the video I have to run extremely short set backs of at most 3 feet to the lure from the wire. Visibility of the water plays a factor too.

Kevin

RickM
09-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Can you explain how about the technique you use to get the video....type of camera, how it is attached to the down rigger, how often do you check it. Do have a monitor attached to the camera and do you watch that as part of your fishing electronics.worthy12

HiTechKoke
09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Can you explain how about the technique you use to get the video....type of camera, how it is attached to the down rigger, how often do you check it. Do have a monitor attached to the camera and do you watch that as part of your fishing electronics.worthy12

Hi Rick - Camera setup is via a Walker Strikevision setup.... http://www.strikevision.com/ The camera transmission is part of the cable which make it pretty unique. While I like the convenience of it I'm considering building my own higher quality unit and for other reasons as well.

We do run a monitor, all you need is something that takes an RCA style video in this setup. I have a small flats creen that works pretty nice for this. As for viewing it I do it when I'm not running around the back of the boat with my head cut off pacing like a caged tiger. When the bite is off I have more time to view and over-analyze any situation or whine why the fish aren't biting when they follow it around a LOT! crymeariver The kids catch more moments live than I ever do but I am generally recording most of the day and pick up interesting shots and behavior in the post editing phase.