PDA

View Full Version : Swift Lake in S.W. Washington

Kokonuts
08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
With the season comming to a close at Merwin I've been thinking of heading up to Swift Lake for a shot at the Trout.

I've fished from the bank but never taken the boat up there, does anyone have any tips about this Lake?

...........thumbsup.......Kokonuts

smokin' Kokes
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
used to do good fishing off the dry dirt banks at the points in the fall after the reservoir drops. less than 30 ft down with worms, single eggs or power bait. the big ones get hungry this time of year before the spawn. back in the coves and small creek canyons is good also, they even come up to dry flies.

also did well casting Kastmasters in chrome or gold both from boat and face of dam.

the cold water off the snow pack make for nice firm good eating trout.

go deep and good chance of getting a hog bull trout aka Dolly Varden. not a trout but a member of the char family. 10 lb plus hogs in Swift but protected. wife had one walk right through 10lb test several years ago plunking worms in a creek canyon off the main lake.

watch out the for east wind in the fall. can come up fast and be real nasty, 5 ft close spaced waves. not the place for a small boat.
afternoons can be windy. watch the weather for high pressure inland and a low off the coast, turns the east wind on
she rumbles down through the canyon

beautiful place and can be great wx in the fall. i always take a camera

hope ya hook a line breaker hog.