PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup Report

IssaquahBob
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Been away for awhile chasing sockeye in Lake Wenatchee and silvers/kings in Ilwacho and Westport. Limits at all three locations. Got back to OR and went with my son on Saturday (8/22) to Wickiup. My first time there. Dock at launch site was high and dry but enough ramp and water to put in a 19' Arima. Primarily fished to the right of the launch (as you face the water). Worked in 30 to 40 feet with DRs set around 25 feet. Primarily used spinners behind a dodger tipped with Gulp maggots. My son used a number of homemade spinners. I primarily stuck with a store bought Mack's Double Whammy Kokanee Pro (22102) behind a hammered chrome dodger. Every time I thought about switching, I'd get another hit. Stuck with it until a snag just off the channel decided I had caught too many. Wind stayed down the entire time. We ended up with 14 nice ones, 11 in the 16 1/2 to 18 1/2 inch range. Never had a chance to try jigging although we saw a number of boats anchored up where the channel does a bend to the right. We did do one quick run to the dam but did not mark any significant fish out in that area.

Looking forward to fishing the lake again next season.

Fallriverguy
08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the report. The joy of fishing Wickiup is the size and spunk of the fish and the bane of fishing Wickiup is the amount of gear lost.

Kokanee Slow
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Glad you did well and had good time.