PDA

View Full Version : Trollmaster Pro II?

SuperD
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Has anyone installed one on their kicker? Cabela's says mine is on the truck headed my way. Wondering how difficult the install will be.

Thanks

Bduck
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Dave, I have this installed. Put it on myself. Very simple. If anything is hard on installation is routing wires. This is a good feature to have on a boat. Allows you to dial in on engine rpm(fine tune) to set your trolling speed. Its better than trying to adjust speed thru the handle. How else can you spoil a fisherman, let me count the ways. :rolleyes:

SuperD
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Roger, can you snap a couple shots of your routing and POC's?

Bduck
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't know if these photos will help, but here they are. The item with the white round wheel with a bendable wire stem going to throttle is what comes in the kit. Also control unit mounted at the helm. The instructions will have appropriate application with it. You shouldn't have a problem with this at all. Routing your wires is up to you for a clean installation. Good Luck, I hope these photos are enough to give you an idea.

DLM
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Interesting reading and photos, looks like this will be item number one on my Christmas list, and when she who must be obeyed sees the price, the only item on my Christmas list.

SuperD
08-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting reading and photos, looks like this will be item number one on my Christmas list, and when she who must be obeyed sees the price, the only item on my Christmas list.

In order to make the price tolerable, I got my Cabela's points up to over $100 and then waited for a $25 coupon in the mail, which cabela's sends me periodically. By the time I pulled the trigger, I felt like I was paying half price.

Bduck
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately, Cabelas mark up is high. That where I got mine. With a little help of some club points of course. Thinking about making a trip to Cabelas soon.

SuperD
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
No question about it, everyone with a kicker motor and helm or remote control has got to have this item. I can not believe the level of rpm control this offers. No more knocking the throttle an 1/8" at a time just to have to reve up on you from 1.5 mph to 2.5 mph.

Bduck
08-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Its definately the add-on for your kicker. I've been using it for over 3yrs.

TBtoad
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I have had it for a couple of years and love it. Depending on your brand of kicker it has detailed info and pictures on how to install. Pretty simple instalation.
TBtoad

DLM
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Ordered my pro II today. Installation on Saturday, fish on Sunday.tooexcited

SuperD
03-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Ordered my pro II today. Installation on Saturday, fish on Sunday.tooexcited

What motor are you putting it on? I found the instructions pretty good but not great. If you are putting it on a yamaha, I can send you some better pictures.

DLM
03-08-2010, 07:07 PM
This is going on a Nissan (Tohatsu) 6hp. I have looked at the instructions and they look pretty simple, and so am I so it should be a good match.

Thanks for the offer.

Kokaholic
03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I have a Nissan 5 hp. That intrests me. I have seen them on some other boats that I have been in and really liked them. So what is the price? Im guessing around 150.00 or so?

SuperD
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Cabelas apparently have discontinued carrying the Trollmaster series. This is their new line.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0075982020869a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=speed+control&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

Bduck
03-09-2010, 03:25 AM
I have a Nissan 5 hp. That intrests me. I have seen them on some other boats that I have been in and really liked them. So what is the price? Im guessing around 150.00 or so?
Try this link Mark. There is a Pro 3 out now. My Pro 2 cost me approx $200 at Cabelas. There are 3 models, Pro, Pro 2, & Pro 3. Decisions, decisions.
http://troll-masterpro.com/

Kokaholic
03-09-2010, 06:23 AM
it appears that the 8 horse is the smallest that they make it for on my brand name motor, oh well

SuperD
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Mark, don't give up so easily. Take the cowling off and snap a picture of the throttle linkage. This is really easy so if i saw you throttle configuration, I'd let you know if it was still doable.

DLM
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
it appears that the 8 horse is the smallest that they make it for on my brand name motor, oh well

Check again. Under "applications" they list the nissan 1995 and newer in either a 5 or 6 horse. They would use model tm203d, which is what I ordered.

They show the same thing under Tohatsu, which is who makes that particulary nissan, and merc,etc.

Bduck
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Check again. Under "applications" they list the nissan 1995 and newer in either a 5 or 6 horse. They would use model tm203d, which is what I ordered.

They show the same thing under Tohatsu, which is who makes that particulary nissan, and merc,etc.

I agree Mark. I believe they have what you need. They also have a toll free number under the link I posted.

Kokaholic
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Sounds good guys, thanks, I will look into it more. I hadn't gave up

Petty4life
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
if i read it right it can only be used on 4 strokes?

SuperD
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
It will work on anything with a throttle linkage. The servo mechanism has a push rod connected to it and a collar that attaches to the throttle arm. When you turn the dial on the control box, it simply moves the throttle arm in small increments. It is basically eliminating the delay in throttle cable.

Petty4life
03-09-2010, 03:32 PM
It will work on anything with a throttle linkage. The servo mechanism has a push rod connected to it and a collar that attaches to the throttle arm. When you turn the dial on the control box, it simply moves the throttle arm in small increments. It is basically eliminating the delay in throttle cable.

will it work with the shifter in the throttle handle?

SuperD
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, the way it works in the helm control applications is you shift the motor out of neutral but still at next to idle speed. Since there really isn't any delay in tiller controlled motors, I'm assuming you are trying to get the "remote" throttle control out of it without having to go stand back there?

Petty4life
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, the way it works in the helm control applications is you shift the motor out of neutral but still at next to idle speed. Since there really isn't any delay in tiller controlled motors, I'm assuming you are trying to get the "remote" throttle control out of it without having to go stand back there?

exactlythumbsup

froggie
03-13-2010, 10:49 AM
We've had the Trollmaster for a few years now & I LOVE it. I'm driving the boat, so this way I can control the speed from the driver's seat and we use our electric motor with remote for steering. This frees up our ability to catch fish!! It is an awesome invention. Tortuga installed it pretty easily and it works like a dream on our kicker.
Froggiethumbsup

Propnut69
03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
so what would be the advantage for those of us the have our kickers on a remote -troll bracket?

Kokaholic
03-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Tim,

IT would allow you to speed up and slow down without having to use your throttle control on your tiller handle. you simply control it from the dial that you see in the above photo. I think this would be a great tool for you. At least something to look into for sure.

Propnut69
03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks Mark,that 's what I was thinking ,just wanted to clarify.

TroutScout
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I had the ProII for 4 years on my 6hp merc. I have burned out and replaced two of the original servo motors. The last time I sent the entire unit back to ProTroll and they replaced the original servo motor with a more powerful one. They had to "reflash" the ProTroll computer for the new servo. They are a good company to work with. Cost me $20.00 total. They stand behind their product.

The servo motors are mainly used as landing gear retractor motors on model airplanes. You can get replacement motors at hobby shops for about $6.00. I wouldn't troll without the ProToll - it is a really nice thing to have.

Bduck
04-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I had the ProII for 4 years on my 6hp merc. I have burned out and replaced two of the original servo motors. The last time I sent the entire unit back to ProTroll and they replaced the original servo motor with a more powerful one. They had to "reflash" the ProTroll computer for the new servo. They are a good company to work with. Cost me $20.00 total. They stand behind their product.

The servo motors are mainly used as landing gear retractor motors on model airplanes. You can get replacement motors at hobby shops for about $6.00. I wouldn't troll without the ProToll - it is a really nice thing to have.

Thats good to know TroutScout. I didn't even think of going to a hobby shop for a servo motor.

SuperD
04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Cabelas had had the Pro troll III in the bargain cave for the last month and for less tha we paid for our PT II. Now would be the time if somebody wanted to get it.

I've ordered a couple extra servos from a hobby shop and keep them on board.

TroutScout, if you are burning up servos, you may have the rod too tight against the collar. Leave a tiny bit of slack.

TroutScout
04-13-2010, 06:44 PM
SuperD,

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you mean the little brass collar that has the screw inserted from the top?

SuperD
04-13-2010, 10:49 PM
SuperD,

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you mean the little brass collar that has the screw inserted from the top?

When the boat is in neutral, the push rod from the servo to the collar on the throttle arm should have about a 1/16 of an inch gap. That means you'll turn the dial on the box 1/2 a turn before it engages the collar. If the push rod is tight against the collar all the time, the servo is constantly under load and they will burn out quicker.

TroutScout
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
SuperD

Thanks.

I'll check it out once I get the boat out of storage.

RibOwner
05-21-2010, 05:40 PM
I just ordered my Pro Troll II for my Merc. After seeing a few guys running them at Wallowa last weekend, I felt it was time. Going back and forth from the helm to the stern was not fun during wind gusts.

Can't wait to try it at Merwin and Prineville!

DLM
05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I gave mine it's first real try this last week at LBC and loved it. Now I can get away from the tiller, steer from and sit up front (out of the weather in the rain) and control my speed by tenths of a mile per hour.

I had a couple problems getting it to work right after I installed it and Robert (Mr. Trollmaster) walked me through some trouble shooting over the phone until we got it fixed. I felt like an idiot but he was super and very patient with me. It is so rare to find a piece of equipment that exceeds your expectations backed up by someone who understands what customer service is all about.

RibOwner
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Question, I have the unit installed, but how did you guys mount the controller? I seen the double-sided sticker, but with the paint on my Alumaweld it will not stick.

JB

BorntoFish01
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I Used Velcro Tape To Mount It On The Dash

DLM
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I have not found a good place to mount mine yet. So far, it just lays in the tray next to the seat and this seems to work out just fine, easy to reach and out of the way. (I have the same problem getting things to stick on my alumaweldl.)

binthere50
06-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi guys....I have the pro-troll lll, works very nice for my Yamaha t-8. In fact I have 2 of them!
I keep a spare set-up on the boat. If I drive 16hrs to fish the Gorge and my trolling set up takes a dump, I will have another one ready!..My question is the servo motors you guys are talking about, how do I know what kind to get if I want to buy some spares?...I have no idea what they even are?...I know where the rod connects and the little wheel turns and all that, but I'm not sure about
the servo?..or what it is?....Thanks Fellas..........Mike

SuperD
06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Mike, the little plastic motor that spins the wheel is the servo. The model # is likely on a sticker on the side of the servo. They are very inexpensive, under $20. I bought my extras from an online hobby shop.

binthere50
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks Super......I'll go check out the serial#'s on it and go get a couple....

koke a nut
06-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi guys, been to busy doing other things than joining in the fun here...well I have a control king and love it, got it last year and the dealer mounted it for me. I have a 15 hp Honda and it works great, haven't had a bit of problems. Mounted it with velcro and am able to get down to less than 1 mph.