PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Campground on Koke Lake with RV Hookups?

tsuribaka
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi All,

I picked up a copy of Biser as GI Joes was going out of business this spring, and long story short, I'm totally hooked (no pun intended). Now if only I can figure out how to stop inadvertently releasing them at the gunwhale...

Anyway, I'm looking to combine this new hobby with the camping we do. We have a small travel trailer, and aren't opposed to boondocking (actually we generally prefer the scenery found away from the trappings of civilization), but trolling with our cartopper is much nicer with an electric motor, so it would be convenient to have a place to recharge overnight on longer stays. Any suggestions?

We are located in Seattle, so anything in the western part of the state from the Columbia to the Canadian border is fair game. Also, you won't hear me complain if the kokes at your recommended spot are the biggest and fattest I've ever seen and jump in the boat at the sound of my voice ;)

sweetpea
08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
cresap bay has camping available but no rv hookups. might check woodland washington for a campground with rv hookups. it is just 10 miles west of lake merwin and they have good kokanee. yale is the next lake east and that has a lot of kokanee but the size is a bit smaller. woodland is right off I-5. they should have something there that has rv hookups.

Kokonuts
08-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Good info from Sweetpea, & Welcome to the forum!! I sent you a private message!!

thumbsup............Kokonuts

smokin' Kokes
08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
great article on koke fishing in Wa. especially in your area up in the Seattle area.
http://www.seattlepi.com/getaways/369119_kokanee03.html

to keep the Krazy Kokes on into the net and boat, try double hooks tied on 10 to 15lb florocarbon leader with egg loop knots tied 1">2"s apart. kokes are not line shy.

i use and love Gamukatsus octopus style size 4 6 or 8. they are super sharp and will make really nice holes in the hide crymeariver . i even crimp the barb down since i am not a fan of cutting a barbed hook off and pushing it on thru a finger. barbless come back out the way they went in. fishing kokes guarantees hooks in human flesh:mad:.

i keep the pole tip down to the water and to the side as i bring the fish up to the boat and the net, keeps them from jumping as much. best to dip the net down below the fish into the water rather than lifting it's head up over the net hoop like we do for salmon and other fish. they have soft mouths, hooks tear out easily

for trolling, a long limber rod, 7' to 9', rated 2lb to max 6lb is best for kokes. play them out on the rod before bringing to the boat. monofilament 4lb to 12lb is best, stretches more than braided which helps prevent the fish from tearing out the hooks

http://www.shop.gamakatsu.com/scripts/psp/VB_Bridge3.dll?VBEXE=f:InetPubscriptspspbinshop.pr odt.detail.exe&SKU=1340_02

Merwin kokes were so hungry and aggressive this summer had many coming in with both hooks in mouth or 1 in the mouth and one in the head/belly, a belly hooked fish does not come off

jakelunde
10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Baker lake has a nice campsite no hookups though and it is free this time of year. It is owned by PSE.