PDA

View Full Version : Paulina 8/22

SilverBullets
08-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Trolling was slow, got our limits by jigging targeting suspended fish. Since there was very little wind, we did a slow drift with the electric motor out in the middle. Best depth was between the 40' to 50' level. Had a hard time getting them to stick, and lost around 15 either on the way in, or just out of reach of the net. All kokes were bright except for one spawner. Corn scented with kokanee special/anise, and koke special gel on the jigs. Fish averaging between 11 to 14". Used homemade jigs... best colors were pink, orange, white, and black.

Fallriverguy
08-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Glad you see you are still getting into them. Have you caught more jigging than trolling this year?

SilverBullets
08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Glad you see you are still getting into them. Have you caught more jigging than trolling this year?

Brian...We caught more trolling overall, but learned alot about jigging...next year it might be a different story! thumbsup

SilverBullets
08-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Started off trolling apex's and the bite was consistant for the first hour or so, then switched over to jigging. Drifted the middle going after suspended fish around 40'. There was a cloud cover today, so they were up 10' higher than a week ago. All kokes were in good shape, none showing red or hook jaw. Ended up with our limits, released around 5, and lost a few behind the boat. All kept were in the 12-14" range. A few were caught useing fire corn and gulp maggots, but the koke special scented corn got the most attention.

Fallriverguy
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Good job SB on still getting the fish. It looks like this will be first year I have not fish Paulina.

SilverBullets
08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Good job SB on still getting the fish. It looks like this will be first year I have not fish Paulina.

Your not really missing anything up there right now. My last report on 8/29 was the morning the blue/green algae advisory went into effect. That morning the whole east end of the lake looked like pea soup. Everyone up there fished the west end, where it looked pretty much normal. I took the advise from the article in the paper and during the smoking process I removed the skin, and scrapped off all the fat. They taste great, but if I use the facilities at night and notice a "glow" I'll know what caused it.laugh hyst We're going to take a week off and see if the advisory gets lifted, if not we'll call it a season.thumbsup

Kokanee Slow
09-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Glad to see you can get easy limits at Paulina!

SilverBullets
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Made it back up for the last trip of the season. The algae alert got lifted a few days ago, and the lake was back to normal. Started off trolling apex's, and got into some that were starting to turn but still in good shape. Things slowed down so switched to jigging. First targeted the bottom dwellers down around 50-70', but after only catching bright red ones we went after suspended kokes out in the middle both trolling and jigging and got back into the keepers. Best depth was 42' and garlic scented corn got the most hits. Will load the smoker one last time tomorrow.thumbsup

Fallriverguy
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Good job SB. The fish should be very good smoked.

twisted lines
09-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Will load the smoker one last time tomorrow.thumbsup

If you need a hand Unloading let me know. tooexcited

DLM
09-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Smoker talk got me thinking as I am doing a batch or two this weekend.

If there is a meet at LBC next spring as there was this year I fully intend to be there. We should all bring a sampling of our smoked kokes for everyone to try out.

The hard part, at least for me, would be still having fish left to taste in the spring.