PDA

View Full Version : two pole option

sweetpea
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
well i was at the store picking up some steelhead gear and saw a flier from the fish and wildlife about a 2 pole option on lakes and reservoirs. the list gave the names of the lakes that do not allow the option. looks like merwin is one lake that does allow 2 poles. the link is http://wdfw.wa.gov/twopole/lakes.php
well it can double your chances if you don't have a boat full.

Kokhead
08-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I like the idea for Koks at Roosevelt esp so I can troll dif depths. Wish I could do that on the Snake for the Steelhead.

Kokanee Katcher
08-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't understand the WDFW's reasoning when they restrict the lakes where the two rods can be used. There is still a limit on the catch and I for one would use the second rod to experiment with using different lures while I used my first choice on the other rod. I tried this the other day and it is worthwhile. The second rod only hooked one fish but there were other strikes and that was what I was looking for; would the fish be attracted to the lure.

tsuribaka
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I can understand some of the closures such as Lake Sammamish and Lake Washington -- there are endangered or threatened runs in these lakes, and they probably don't want to risk any added pressure. Also for example Swift where selective gear rules are in place probably also make sense, since no one will be keeping fish anyway.

On the other hand, I can't understand Kachess and Keechelus, where there are very high limits on kokes -- maybe it has to do with the Dolly Varden that purportedly inhabit these waters?

There seem to be an inordinately high proportion of reservoirs on the list. Can anyone think of why that would be?

Kokanee Katcher
08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Explain to me how the extra rod adds a threat to endangered species of fish. I fished two rods this morning in my local lake and the difference was that I caught my limit a little faster. Therefore I spent less time actually fishing and less time to tempt an endangered fish. By the way, what fish are we considering endangered in Lake Washington; Sockeye?

Good fishing!

smokin' Kokes
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
2 poles = 2 much work

i fish for fun, not hectic craziness.

what would a guy do with both rods going off at the same time

i go to enjoy the outdoors, the quietness of a lake in the rain and fog. the rustle of the first fall winds through the leaves, the screech of an osprey as she returns to the nest with an 18"er in her claws letting baby know it's fish friday.
http://www.victorialodging.com/files/images/osprey_2_fish.jpg

if i went only for fish, i'd revert to the old ways taught me by my Swedish grandfather 50 years ago, dynamite and a pitch fork in a salmon/steelhead stream

Kokanee Katcher
09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Love that Osprey photo! Where I fish there is competition between the lake's Eagles and the Ospreys. When I land a Pea-mouth chub it becomes a meal for one of the birds and it is surprising how quickly they seem to show up from nowhere.

As for the problem with two fish on at one time, I've only come close once but I don't see a problem with 11" Kokanee; turn the motor to low speed and land one after the other. I've had a hook-up on one rod while I was letting line out on the other and just set the rod in it's holder and picked up the live rod. Today I forgot my rod holders when I launched so I just fished one rod instead of going back for them. As I said before, my use of the second rod is to experiment with lures I haven't fished before while the ones I have faith in go on my primary rod. That doesn't always mean more fish-per-hour; just a learning experience.

SilverBullets
09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
The 2 rod stamp is comeing to Oregon also next year. I really can't justify fishing with 2 rods since the lakes I primarily fish only have a 5 fish limit. I go up to enjoy the day and the outdoors, and having to pack the boat up an hour or two after getting up there almost wouldn't be worth going. If an additional limit was included with this stamp I'd probably go for it. I have alot of lures I've made that need to be tested, but that just gives me an excuse to go fishing more often.thumbsup

MMDON
09-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I like the idea for Koks at Roosevelt esp so I can troll dif depths. Wish I could do that on the Snake for the Steelhead.

If you are fishing in Idaho you can fish the Snake with two rods! thumbsup

I run two rods in most situations. I'm not sure if I remember how to fish with only one . . .

SuperD
09-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Doubles are common place. Triples and quads is when the chinese fire drills start and it's really exciting. Fish all over the floor.

MackPrince
09-08-2009, 12:39 AM
The 2 rod option sounds interesting. I enjoy the sport and luck of fishing, but also usually have limited hours on the water with two young children at home. Sounds like it's an additional $20 but may help speed up the action a little seeing as how I normally need to be home around lunch time.

It sounds like the spawn phase is in full swing now so I'll wait until next year to try the double pole. I still need try and catch a few chromers in the next couple of weeks (one line) because we ate our last three tonight.

Koke-n-a-smile
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
The price seems a little steep for a second pole, and they don't increase your limit. I think I will stick with my second (and sometimes third) pole options by bringing my 8 and 5 year old boys fishing with me. That way I get more poles in the water, and they get to have some fun too:)

Get'nJiggy
09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
"The price seems a little steep for a second pole, and they don't increase your limit. I think I will stick with my second (and sometimes third) pole options by bringing my 8 and 5 year old boys fishing with me. That way I get more poles in the water, and they get to have some fun too"
-Koke-n-a-smile

Yeah That! thumbsup

I had to get my son his own harvest tag because we went and fished pinks a few weeks ago on the Sky. That little piece of paper goes everywhere with him. Thats my second rod stamp too!

Mossback
10-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Ditto Smokin Kokes on the two rod issue. In my old age, fishing two rods is BS! I have a H-Bird Nuclear Depth Sounder and a downrigger that can target a 16" fish !

The limit here in WA is 5 fish. I stop at 4! And savor the morning, a good cup of coffee and ponder the question, why did God put me on this earth?

Mossback

Kokanee Katcher
10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Mossback,I respect your opinion but I too am a senior and don't fish with any electronic aids except for my GPS to monitor my speed while trolling and I don't use a down-rigger. That said, my use of two rods is my way of locating fish and experimenting with different lures, not a way to catch my limit faster. If two rods is BS, couldn't someone else call using fish finders and down-riggers the same thing? I just choose to fish a different way, and I don't look at others as wrong for how they legally pursue fish.