PDA

View Full Version : Too late to catch kokanee?

Gameface
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Is it too late to catch kokanee? If so, what are the prime times of year to go after these guys?

I'm headed up to Strawberry with the family and we'll be staying at the lodge on the 19th and 20th. I was hoping to catch a few kokanee for the grill, but from what I'm hearing I missed the window and they are already changing color.

Kokanee Killer
08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
i dont know how you fellers feel out west but i keep fishing right up to the spawn and they are still a blast to catch atleast for me i love the watching the agression strikes by the territorial males and females too, on my home made jigs and i even keep a few for the smoker and they are just as good tasting as our erie steelhead even better so if its legal to fish for them into the spawn then go for it its my fav time of year

Gameface
08-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the info.

If I can catch some I will. Do you have any recomendations for catching them at this time of year?

Bduck
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
You can try RMT dodgers & squids, serpents, or ospreys. In dodgers, hyperplaid, watermelon, bahama mama, uv pink hyper or a variety of others. Squids-double glow pink, mai tai, uv pearlscent, cotton candy or even something orange. Serpents- try something in pinks, oranges, reds. Same goes for ospreys. Rocky Mountain Tackle has a good on line selection which will help you choose the color variations. There are also other good companies out there that have real good items to use as well. I've only touched the tip without trying to break the bank. You can look at the advertisements on this forum and they are a big help. Good Luck.

Kokaholic
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Might want to check the regs, I think The berry closes to koke fishing the 15th of Augustcrymeariver