PDA

View Full Version : Washingtons Biggest Kok Lakes

Kokhead
08-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I am curious what lakes have the largest Koks that you all have noticed, east side or west side.

I know Roosevelt has monsters but I have yet to get a kok out of there (other than spawners at the mouth of Hawk) while fishing for them. Loon this year we did pull one nearing 16''. Years past Deer used to put out some dandys but anymore your lucky to get any and when you do pushing 11'' is the biggest.

Koke-n-a-smile
08-16-2009, 10:58 PM
At Merwin I caught 4 in the 14" size range, and Kokonuts had 5, 4 in the 14" range, and the small one was 13" on Aug 8th.

spudbud
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Fishing at Riffe was decent last week...two trips= six fish.
45'-55'...worms, squid, and prawns off the dam.thumbsup

smokin' Kokes
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
most koke lakes go thru a koke food source cycle.

depends on snow pack incoming water temps for growth.

changes in lake chemisty.
lake home building with the septic tanks destroys many koke lake.
also heavy logging activity destoys the cold clean clear gravel streams required for spawning

heavy logging and too much lake front home building affected Riffe and Mayfield years ago. the kokes are far less in number and small now.

look for Yale kokes to disappear as lake front home building and the septic tank lawn killers take over. hear that the land company that owns most of the south side of Yale is preparing sub divisions and private access for large private only development

kokes require a lake/reservior with slow moving current so their food source is not continually swept away, otherwise Rufus Woods behind Chief Joseph would make a great koke lake.

many of the snow pack glacier fed reservoir/lakes are too cold for fast koke growth and producing hogs. Ross is an example

Mossback
10-12-2009, 12:49 AM
kokhead,

The largest I have caught is a 20" outta Summit. I caught a 18" outta Ward this year. Having fished Kokes for years, we don't have monster fish on the Wet Side. American can and has produced the big ones but I just can't get the energy nor mind set to fish it anymore. Stevens, well it produces but again, I just get bummed towing a boat up the I-5 Oriface.

Mossback

smokin' Kokes
10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
caught a fat deep 22"er about 30 years ago off the south side of the island bluff in Park Lake, Sun Lakes state park.
dropping 1/2 of a nightcrawler down against the vertical rock face, no weight

used to gather the crawdads in the rocky shallows and use them for trout bait. the blue colored ones worked the best.

too much commercial development, water skiers and jet skis have ruined this lake. haven't fished it in years

eenakoK
10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I have caught some 14"s at American.. That is the only lake I have fished so far though..

jakelunde
10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Lake Martha Tulalip has nice sized Kokanee but it is no combustion motors and is fairly small. I have had my greatest success there. they average 12" with on a good day 3 to 4 fish and on a bad day ZERO. It is close to home though.

kokanee_slayer
01-13-2010, 09:41 PM
I've caught some decent fish at American Lake as well - 12 to 14 inches. However, it's hit and miss and at times I have limited out. I hear Alder Lake is supposed to be decent as Tacoma Power stocks it regularly but haven't fished it enough to figure it out.
Was getting Cabin Fever and went to American this weekend and got a few bumps but no takers. It's a bit early - I usually don't see much action until mid to late Feb. The Fog set in about 8:00 A/M and it was tough until
10:30 when it began to lift.

Sucker
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Fished a lot at Merwin last year; caught 3 a bit over 17" but most are 12" to 14".

okanogan sagerat
01-20-2010, 12:42 AM
I moved to Eastern Washington from Oregon and I am interested in the biggest Kokes and best East-side lakes to fish them year-round. I have an 17' fiberglass Sterling center console deep V with two Scotty electrics. I live close to Omak. Any suggestions?

okanogan sagerat
01-20-2010, 12:57 AM
What size are coming out of Riffe?

smokin' Kokes
01-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Lake Chelan, Lake Roosevelt behind Grand Coulee and Rufus Woods behind Chief Joseph dam both have nice sized kokes in them
check the limits on kokes in these lakes, can be different than many others.

I moved to Eastern Washington from Oregon and I am interested in the biggest Kokes and best East-side lakes to fish them year-round. I have an 17' fiberglass Sterling center console deep V with two Scotty electrics. I live close to Omak. Any suggestions?

okanogan sagerat
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM
When do the Kokes start showing up at Roosevelt? I know the trout are getting good in there right now.

wallhead
01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
when Do The Kokes Start Showing Up At Roosevelt? I Know The Trout Are Getting Good In There Right Now.

They Are Doing Kokes Now To The Summer. 10 To 35 Feet Down, 1.5 To 2.2 Mph. In The Summer They Go Deeeeep!

Fish Slayer
02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I limited out at Riffe two months ago. Average size 12". The winter fish were fatter than the ones I caught there last spring. Went twice last month and couldn't get a bite on anything. Put my poles away and grabbed my skis!

Onerka007
02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Roosevelt hands down, we've put 16 in the boat this year 1 to 4 lbs!!!

Gene
02-08-2010, 10:49 PM
live in Marysville near Everett, and want to make the trip to Chelan but only have 200 ft on my scotty's, can i reach them?

Gene
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
whant to take the trip to Chelan, but only have 200 feet o cable on scotty's can i reach them this time of year.

smokin' Kokes
02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
they're on the surface in the winter
go to Lake Roosevelt

see Onerka007 post above, contact him for outstanding winter fishing.
you gotta see his pictures, blow you away with winter kokes and trout

I'm gone fishing to NE. Wa.
our version of Flaming Gorge

HereDuckyDucky
03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
whant to take the trip to Chelan, but only have 200 feet o cable on scotty's can i reach them this time of year.

You'll catch them from the surface down to about 30' from now through mid-May. After that the deepest I ever go is 50'.

RW

Gene
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the tip ducky... time for a mancationthumbsup