PDA

View Full Version : Linking two outboards together...

HiTechKoke
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
I was helping out another friend tonight so I might as well share the info. Essentially he wanted to know how my motors could be linked together (Main and kicker) so the steering could happen at the wheel. While I rarely use this link much it's a simple purchase from West marine for this steering bar if you have motors that are relatively at the same level. The disconnects take a second so I just keep one end on all the time and then I could hook it up if needed.

Here's the link to the product and then a few photos of where it is linked:

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16953-stainless-steel-rod-from-marinetech-products.html

Kevin

SuperD
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Kevin, why do you ever have it disconnected? I leave mine connected 100% of the time so the the kicker doesn't swing side to side. As a side note, these tie rods are notorious for vibration and can a bit irritating. One of the fixes is to put a bungie cord under tension from the rod to a cleat or tow rope hook.

oldguysrule
08-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I use one the same way and it works out really well. Still have to disconnect mine because one motor is further back than the other but it only takes a few seconds. Love how it works and the price is right.laugh hyst

SilverBullets
08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I mounted one from the 25 to the 4hp Yamaha to be able to steer with the main motor. On the Smoker Craft Alaskan there's not a whole lot of room on the transom, so this gets both motors to turn at the same time to keep them from hitting each other. I couldn't use the supplied hardware for mounting, and ended up fabricating my own. After making a couple different bracket combinations due to riding and binding conditions, the unit works flawlessly.thumbsup

HiTechKoke
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Kevin, why do you ever have it disconnected? I leave mine connected 100% of the time so the the kicker doesn't swing side to side. As a side note, these tie rods are notorious for vibration and can a bit irritating. One of the fixes is to put a bungie cord under tension from the rod to a cleat or tow rope hook.

Simply because unless you are a body builder in prime shape you cannot easily sway your kicker motor when it is connected due to the resistance from the main motors steering. The kicker motor has its own lock down lever or you can adjust it as needed to be as loose as needed.

As for rattling that's not an issue at all on my setup as the picture shows the tennis ball which keeps it from rattling when laying there and from scratching up the diamond plate.

As I mentioned I rarely use this setup connected since I have the trolling motor up front to do the steering and the back kicker stays fairly locked down in a straight position but if needed I'll be back there steering next to it waiting on the bite and adding more S turns etc if the current action is not yielding results.

Kevin